Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Another March Range Report

Went to the range at lunch.


My low and right shooting is as bad or worse, though by the end I think I was hitting on a better 'squeeze' technique. Better than my previous squeeze technique. THAT's the bad news. Too embrassing to post pictures, almost. I HATE being this honest about my ineptitude.





The good news is, the .22 conversion works good with 2 new random .22LR brands. Federal cheap stuff, and Remington .22 Thunderbolt. Sure it fails to feed once in 24, and fails to eject once in 10, but that's not too bad considering what it is.

Also, I decided to get cans for my ears. So a stop at my gunstore was in order. Low profile cheap ones to try and don't stick out too far.

While there, I talked to the 1911 guy. He had some recommendations on swapping out the grip safety with the bulge for something I'd like better, and pointed out the part number in Brownells.

He showed me a 1911 from 1914, too. Boy, it was sweet looking. Patent dates all over. The HAMMER looked well made. Just the hammer. Compared to modern 1911s. The rest of the gun was as fine, but that hammer stood out as the standard bearer of quality that the rest of the piece had.

I noticed this trip that the .45 mags tears up my fingertips on loading, so a LULA mag-loader is ordered and on the way.


The next bunch of range trips is just going to be me, the 1911, and at least 100 .45. That's in order to get serious about practice. No .22 to distract me.

3 comments:

breda said...

How long have you been shooting?

What I'm noticing about your targets is that they show consistent grouping in the lower right side, which means you are doing something that can be corrected. The trick is finding out what that thing is - it could be something as simple as squeezing your right hand too much and your left not enough. Or something. (but don't take my shooting advice. Ever. I know next to nothing.)

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Bravo!

Your honesty doesn't reflect ineptitude-on the contrary it shows a willingness to truly evaluate yourself and improve your capabilities.

We all go through these things as we try to become better shots.You will certainly not have the problem with high heels I did(note to self:flats only at the range,improves groups).

Through your courage,trials and tribulations we can learn also.Well done indeed!

Blessings

Jay G said...

What I noticed was that in all four targets, you'd be looking at one D-E-A-D goblin.

VERY few people can put all 8-10-15-whatever rounds all in the X-ring, my friend. That's respectable shootin' you've shared with us right there.

If anything, I'd wager there's a bit of a flinch involved (seems to be my problem, and my targets look suspiciously like those).

Happily, at least for me, the flinch is easily overcome by going to the range more often. I find that when my range trips get less frequent, as they are right now (once a month if I'm lucky...), my flinching is terrible the first half-hour or so as I get used to the loud concussions going off mere feet from my melon.

Another thing to try is double-bagging your ears - use both foam plugs and the "cans". And don't skimp on ear protection - this is the only hearing you get!