Wednesday, March 5, 2008

My Flaws

And there are many...

I've been thinking on my shooting flaws.

Anticipatory jerk or wrist-break. I might be squeezing the thumb, too, for the same reason. Jerking the trigger, especially, as the sight drifts over the bull, hoping to 'catch' it right there, ambushing the bull. Generally rushing and not focusing enough. Also, just generally jerking the trigger. If I could magically hold the gun rock steady I still think I jerk the trigger too much. Bad habit from cap-gun days as a kid, I am sure.

Found a forum post by a Grandpa Shooter that suggested, "If I might make a suggestion? Try putting a dime on top of the frame with your off hand--and then try dry firing. You might be surprised to find the dime moves on the frame from the way you move in holding the pistol. You may be focusing so hard on the sight picture that the gun is weaving without you even knowing it. If you are pushing or flinching in anticipation of the coming detonation (BOOM) the dime will fall of the frame." THAT's sounds like a good drill to try that will address the trigger and the anticipatory jerk.

A firmer wrist is a good idea. It will reduce muzzle flip. As long as I don't put it in a death grip. I don't think a loose grip is my biggest problem, but it doesn't hurt to perfect it.

Gonna try again tomorrow. After work.


3 comments:

Brad K. said...

I wonder about hand strength and agility. One of the memorable scenes in the recent movie 'Shooter', for me, was the old guy in the back country, and how he checked for hand shape.

My first thought is Yoga. Yoga is often prescribed, as well as hyped around the yuppie circuit. Increase overall strength and agility, and manage pain is the reason people recovering from surgery, older folk, and others hear about Yoga from their doctor. Balance, improved strength and control of body position, and awareness of the body can come from learning and practicing Yoga.

Tai Chi is an oriental exercise practice that focuses on fluid motion. I am thinking particularly of hand and wrist tension, stretch, and relaxation, but I think the overall body control might also help.

Simple grip exercises might help, but I think physical strength of the hand and wrist is part of the solution. Many warrior skills demand balanced development. Weight training, wrist and grip exercises tend to focus on specific muscle groups, making it easy to overlook something that "I didn't think of."

If nothing else, a minute of Tai Chi can be surprisingly warming on a brisk day.

My thinking is you may be focusing on the trigger finger, the hand placement, and not on the strength of arm, back, legs, to support firing, or the fluidity of motion to absorb the recoil with your body and manage a responsive return to position. This is completely in addition to the ability to lift or carry weight.

The Customer said...

Another thing you could try if you are so inclined is to use one of those cheap hand dandy laser bore sighter's and point it at the wall and practice trigger pulls. Do not really worry about your sight picture so much, just concentrate trying to get a smooth pull without the laser jumping. Plus you can see which way you are pulling or pushing. Just a thought from a "special" person.

cheapish bore sight:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/421468-REG/Bushnell_740100C_Laser_Bore_Sighter.html

GunGeek said...

...and if you don't have a laser bore sighter, you can even just tape an el cheapo laser pointer to the gun and do the same thing. Sure, the bore sighter will be closer to where you are aiming, but if you just adjust things a bit you can easily get the pointer to be close enough to see how you're moving around before and after the click.