Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Sad News

So I got a new grip safety for my 1911 and was stopping by my gun-dealer after work to see if his gunsmith could help me fit it when I learned some sad news.

He is going out of business. Apparently he is just tired of the hassle. Not just regulatory stuff, but just the day to day stuff running a retail establishment. It's a shame, but. there is a silver lining:

"EVERYTHING must go!"

He sold me the M1A I've been drooling on for only $500. He threw in some aftermarket 20 round mags for free.

He let me have ALL the South African battle packs he had left. Six sealed ammo pouched filled with 140 round of 7.62 ammo. How much? $25 each!

I went ahead and bought TWO SKSs'. Yugoslavian type. I now need to get all this cosmoline off of them. Why two? They were only $75 each. Why not?

I got a Reminton pump shotgun, 870, for $180. It even has the tactical peep sights I wanted.

I mentioned the 1911 he had there? It had no grips and the finish was gone, but it was really cool with the patent dates and a manufacture date of 1914. After $300, I figure I can come to his house to pick it up in 7 days if the store is shuttered. It was silly purchase, as I won't fire it or carry it much. I'm a sucker for history. And this is a bonafide WWI era gun. Fortunately it's been a month since I got my last handgun, as Maryland is a One-A-Month State.

There was an M1 Carbine, made by IBM with matching serial numbers on the parts. The stock isn't pristine, but it's a good gun, and original. And only $250. I'd prefer Rock-Ola, but, beggars can't be choosers. Especially for a halfway decent price like that.

He had sold the really cool Ruger Mini-14 with a folding stock before I got there. It was old style with a Ruger stock, not after-market. I didn't ask how low the price tag was. Just as well, the credit card is SMOKING I used it so much.

I bought $300 worth of other ammo types and the surplus ammo cans to carry it all were only $1 each. Filled 4 cans with .38 Special, .45 ACP, M1 Carbine .30, and .357.

I think I did pretty good, getting 6 guns I already wanted for less than $2000 and LOTS of ammo. Now I gotta figure out where to PUT all this stuff. I'd have gotten more, and I might check back later. It's still a shame, but there isn't THAT much more stuff I'd ever want. I can get ammo in the future at Wal Mart or something. Bass Pro. Instead of here, but I will need to get a new 'place' to be my gunstore. The only thing left on my List, really, is a .22 revolver and carbines for .45 and .357.


I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man am I ever jealous. It's a heck of a way to get your inventory up, but that is well on it's way to being an impressive arsenal.

Wonder if there are any dealers going out of business in the dallas fort worth area...and how much my wife loves me :)

Congrats on the new goodies.

Anonymous said...

Where, oh where, is this store located?

The Customer said...

I am waiting for the April's fools!

Anonymous said...

This must be April's Fool.

Nobody has luck like that but me!

Jay G said...

Date, gentlemen. Check the date...

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Of all the people I'd hope to have bought it, I had hoped to have sold it to JayG...