Friday, September 27, 2013

MetroKrauthammerCon

I like Charles Krauthammer. I agree with him about 85% of the time. And he is smart and interesting to watch about 100% of the time.

What I don't agree with is his view on guns 17 years ago.

"It is simply crazy for a country as modern, industrial, advanced and now crowded as the United States to carry on its frontier infatuation with guns... Ultimately, a civilized society must disarm its citizenry if it is to have a modicum of domestic tranquility of the kind enjoyed in sister democracies like Canada and Britain"

That's the worst of it, but if you RTWT he 'gets' it about the silliness of modern incremental gun-banny schemes, at least

I wonder if he still holds to "no civilized society should be armed" today? I believe he has gotten beyond that.  But.  Has he because his 'team' leans that way, or it is a true come-to-Jesus conversion?

It's also funny because he is relegated to a wheelchair after a diving accident long ago. About the only way he can defend himself is with a pistol. Not that he is allowed to, his habitat is NYC and DC, mostly.

h/t Joe Huffman

1 comment:

molonlabe28 said...

I like the term, but not the people to which it refers.

To me, a gun is a tool.

It, and what lies between my ears, are what keep me safe.

My wife and I spend a good bit of time in Memphis, which has an incredibly high violent crime rate, and a lot of time on our farm in Mississippi, which, like Memphis, has no shortage of varmints and predators.

It would not occur to me to leave home without a gun.

Without a gun, I may be lucky, but I am certainly not safe.

I think a lot of large city dwellers likely grow accustomed to being disarmed by statute or by a sign posted on the door, so they may be numb to the dangers they put themselve and their families in.

But the underlying issue is one of Constitutionality and not of safety or sport, so shame on any intellectual who ignores the Second Amendment or any other provisions of the Constitution.