Friday, September 6, 2013

Reacher

I should called this tag book/movie review...

Saw Jack Reacher.  It was just the turn for that disk to come in the mail.
 
Never read the books, so the movie couldn't ruin them.  From what i understand, Mr. Reacher (seems like the sorta dude you should call 'Mister') is supposed to be bigger than me.  So fans of the book were worried that the 4'11" Tom Cruise couldn't pull that off.  But he seems too.  It was a good flick.
 
I wonder what it is about Cruise.  I think he is likable because while there is unsavory stuff reported about him, HE doesn't do the reporting.  He seems to protect his brand.  Unlike a guy like Clooney or Matt Damon that spout off about Leftist causes, call the former president Chimpy McBushitler, and give sensuous back massages to that ol' Red, Howard Zinn, Cruise doesn't himself try to alienate half his viewing audiences.  While I think there is a better than even chance he shares Leftist sentiments, Cruise doesn't shove it in my face.  So there isn't that to distract me when watching one of his movies.
 
Matt Damon, on the other hand, I watch that guy and I am distracted, and Jason Bourne becomes Pinko Damon, and I am out of the movie.
 
Good parts about Jack Reacher?  My favorite rifle, the M14/M1A is practically a co-star.
 
Now, should I read the books?

6 comments:

That Guy said...

The Books are OK, but there are a LOT of gun foulups. Do not expect firearms accuracy

juvat said...

Absolutely! Just started the last one and am dreading finishing it without another one in the wings. Well written, entertaining and they maintain the mystery til the very end. (17 books and I've only figured out one).

Anonymous said...

Never read the books. Saw the film, it was okay.
Mr. Cruise always impresses me. it seems every role he takes is more complex and deep than the previous one.
His personal life is his own.

gfa

ProudHillbilly said...

Maybe I'll red box it. If read some of the books and they are good mindless stuff - large quiet guy always ends up in situation where he has to break things. And people. But I couldn't envision Cruise in the role.

Unknown said...

Like "Hunt for Red October" I was able to divorce the book from the movie and enjoy both (although the HRO movie was pretty lame).

michigan doug said...

i think the books are great.yes some of the gun stuff is off but the writers a limey so thats to be expected.