Wednesday, October 25, 2017

80%ish no?

Is this so?

This means that some people are heavily armed, whereas others have exercised their right not to keep and bear arms. As The Washington Post reported recently: “Just 3 percent of American adults own half of the nation’s firearms.”

In fact, only 19 percent of American adults own the other half of the guns, while the remaining 78 percent do not own guns at all. The article notes that there is some disagreement among surveys about the precise numbers, but there is no question that gun owners are a distinct numerical minority in this country.

One in five?  4 out of 5 people you meet don't have a gun to home?

It's hard for me to judge because I self-select compatriots that are like me and aren't hostile to firearms.  I work with a lot of veterans and they are often armed.

Lessee...  Family...  Ex-wife, brother, mother, father...  None have a firearm on premise.  Dad used to, but gave them to me.   So that checks out.

If I count all the girl friends I had since my divorce 20 years ago...  Maybe 20 women.  I can think of 2 that had a gun.  Maybe 2 others that just didn't share that info.

Maybe it's so.  

3 comments:

Educated Savage said...

Remember that a lot of people with guns won't admit it. I've never heard of a good way to judge just how many of those people there are either.

Jonathan H said...

I agree - other studies I have seen recently have AT LEAST 33% owning guns, and even then I'm sure there are people who wouldn't admit it.
I wouldn't answer yes in a survey.

I also think it depends where you live; the liberal states and especially the big liberal cities, likely have far lower rates of gun ownership than rural areas. Where I live, I know of several VERY liberal people who own at least 1 gun.

Anonymous said...

Guns? What guns? I don't need no stinking guns. I ain't got no stinking guns.