Sunday, October 1, 2017

The text of the law

So I posted a link to this from the Congress website:

Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017

This bill amends the federal criminal code to allow a qualified individual to carry a concealed handgun into or possess a concealed handgun in another state that allows individuals to carry concealed firearms.
A qualified individual must: (1) be eligible to possess, transport, or receive a firearm under federal law; (2) carry a valid photo identification document; and (3) carry a valid concealed carry permit issued by, or be eligible to carry a concealed firearm in, his or her state of residence.
Additionally, the bill specifies that a qualified individual who lawfully carries or possesses a concealed handgun in another state: (1) is not subject to the federal prohibition on possessing a firearm in a school zone, and (2) may carry or possess the concealed handgun in federally owned lands that are open to the public. 

And I commented how the highlighted part screws us Marylanders, with out-of-state CCW cards, over.
 
And commenters piped in, "Nuh-uh, T-Bolt!  That's not what it says!"

And I'm thinking, "What are you chowderheads thinking?  I lifted RIGHT from Congress.  How can you get any more official than that."

Well, RIGHT NEXT to the tab for the stuff I was reading and cribbing from is a tab that says text.  The tab I was reading on says summary.   And the summary doesn't do a very precise job summarizing the actual text of the law..

I shoulda known the actual law would look a lot more complicated than the above.

The part I like in the actual text best is:

"and who is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm"

I highlighted my favorite bit.  My bad on the original flub.

No comments: