Monday, September 24, 2018

Home Gunsmiffin'

Ok, so I've been using my L Frame 686 revolver some lately, to get my DA revolver skills up a bit.

It's been in the shop a while back.  The timing was off, and I needed an oversized hand.

Anyhoo.  It's getting harder to get the cylinder to release.  I go to the range and can't even open to load the thing.  VERY short range session.  0 rounds fired.

But I know a guy. 

Before that, however, let me take a crack at fixin' it.  Maybe something internal is blocking the cylinder release latch.  I can take the side of and see...  Before that, lemme find that S&W revolver book of mine... where is it...  how bout an internet search?

Well, there's yer trouble right there!  What you bet my ejector rod is backing out a little at a time.  Easy enough to spin it back (anti clockwise to tighten.  you figure that out pretty quick when it doesn't get better).

Wish I had figured that out at the range. 

But, after a good cleaning and degreasing I bet this calls for some blue loctite. 

2 comments:

The Neon Madman said...

I used to have the same issue with my old K38. Noe I just check occasionally to make sure the ejector rod is snug. I don't want to loctite it because I pull the cylinder apart for cleaning every 300 rounds or so.

Mike V said...

It may be that your ejector rod is coming unscrewed.