Sunday, July 28, 2019

Gritty Chase Scene

That looks like R. Lee Ermey in one of the chase cars.  Well, his eyebrows.

Never seen this movie.



Lileks would be all over finding this town on Google Maps.  Thing is, it isn't a major familiar city, and it's all gritty and stuff.  Hard to discern major landmarks like famous theaters or whatnot.   Next step is to freeze frame on street signs, especially cross streets.  Narrow the film archaeology down that way.

It's mostly American cars, but I get a feeling this is a furren locale...   I felt Italy or Spain initially, but...  American cars.  Is that Italian they are talking?  The one way signs are wrong for the USA.  Even for 1971 or 2.



Rue Paree - Detour sign?  FRENCH!  Montreal, mebbe?  Bilingual signs and American iron but San Fran style hills, so not Nawlins.  Continue...

See THIS scene would tell the story.  Lileks would have a map of this interchange from this:


One way to the Pont Champlain bridge, the other to Downtown.  Montreal confirmed.  Does that neon sign say some version of Farine Five Roses?

So, in that scene maybe here.  Or in this picture somewhere, sure.




Hey I did it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I often sleuth locations too. It is fun and informative. And it indulges my affection for mapping skills.

There is a car chase of which I am terribly proud. It lasted nearly one hour mostly on paved streets and involved me as driver and my younger brother in my sister's Gran Torino chasing the bad guys. I outguessed them at their every turn. You bet I'm bragging. No injuries or damage and the bad guys were caught by the police. We watched the ending from an overlook looking down onto land owned by the RR and leased by an oil company. Them boys were in a heap of trouble. My sister did not find out about it until about twenty years had passed.

Rick

Matthew W said...

The best car chase scene EVER of course was "Bullit."
This chase was pretty darn good. It looks like the director used every chase cliche he could afford !!!.
I hate chase scenes on tv/movies where you can see the skid marks from the 12 takes it took to get the shot !

https://bacontime.wordpress.com/2012/11/02/2nd-greatest-movie-car-chase/