Wednesday, December 18, 2019

I had a dream

It was about a giant grizzly bear in my neighborhood.  Almost certainly because the day before I had seen this article posted in Facebook.


The bear in the dream was much larger.

Before bedding down and also because of article, I was thinking of Bella Twin and that Grizzly she killed with a .22.

The grizzly in my dream was that size.

There had been lots of grizzly sighting and takings but one bear was at large, in my dream, here in the inner suburbs of Washington DC.  And there was some gizmo that was tracking them, in real time, by my front door, when I saw that the bear was only a few houses away.

Dammit.

I never liked the idea of bears, when a boy scout.  A little too apex in the food chain.  I didn't want to get drawn into the circle of life.  Not that way.

So I had trepidation.  But I had to DO something.  It was a dangerous animal that everyone wanted put down before it hurt more people.  Maryland was weapons free on this guy.  Yes, Maryland.

So I stepped outside with a Kar98.

Now I don't own a Kar98, nor have any desire to, but it was to hand, and not too shabby of a bear rifle.  Better than a .22.  And there was bear.  So fat it was almost round.  Must have been almost a ton of bear.  Now, I was thinking shot placement was important.  I aimed for the thoracic are and...  boom.  No effect on the bear.  I am pretty sure I hit ok, I must not have gotten anything important, or penetrated far enough.  Plus:  dream logic.  The rifle jammed, too.  The bolt couldn't be worked.  So I dropped it and started running.

I am thinking running from an angry grizzly bear is sub optimal.  In my best shape it is still 3 times as fast as me.  And I am not in that shape.

People make fun of the M1A/M14 but I sure wish I had had one to hand at this point in the narrative.  But whoda thunk a bolt action gun would give ya trouble.  Jamming is not the Kar98's reputation.

What I DID have, and remembered, in a shoulder holster was a .44 magnum revolver.  So, running ceased and shooting began again when I remembered that.  It took two more shots.   One with no effect, and the other must have hit the head.  So, yay?  Close call.  Dead bear.  I felt kinda bad.  Which is better than feeling nothing after a bear killed me, I guess.



3 comments:

The Neon Madman said...

Man, you gotta start taking it easy on the pepperoni pizza before bedtime ......

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

"Lucky for me I had my Red Ryder carbine model range rifle with a compass in the stock."

Will said...

Could happen, if the scuttlebutt is correct. Story goes that a Grizzly was spotted in a state that hasn't seen them for a looonng time, along with a sighting of a Montana wildlife control truck in the same area. That's two states away from them.

There is a faction of the Feds that is working hard to re-introduce all the old predators to drive people away from the countryside. Sierra Clubbers type, who want people to only live/work in cities, and be kept far away from nature. They want to shut down the cattle and sheep businesses to "restore" the West, among other areas.