Sunday, September 19, 2010

Deer Stand

Brigid talked about the Zen of the Deer Stand.

The property where we hunt has a deer stand up. But there are problems. So I doubt I can replicate her experience.

For one, the burlap hanging by it is FULL OF CHIGGERS. Sure sure, by hunting season a frost will have ameliorated those.

For another, this metal stand has been out there for years, rusting. It's probably in great shape, but one day it won't be...

The seat is on upside down. And the nylon straps will rot away some day too. So it is wobbly and uncomfortable up there.

It's up high, in the wind, on a cold day. Meh. More comfort issues. This is HUNTING from a stand, TBolt, not napping in a hammock.

But the biggest thing that keeps me out of it? I don't have a sling on my shotgun, nor a place to attach one. I am not climbing the ladder WHILE I am toting a gun in one hand. Sort of a deal breaker right there. If you MADE me hunt in the stand? I'd take the shorter barrel on the Model 11 and the scabbard.

2 comments:

jon spencer said...

It is called 550 cord or parachute cord.
All you have to do is tie one end of the cord to the empty gun, climb the ladder with the tag end of the line, sit down, reach over and pull the gun up.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Yeah... No. I don't think I'm ready for the paracord option. With my luck it'll slip and BONK. But, yes, it's in the quiver as a possible means.