Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Get Gas



How to siphon gas, survival skill.



Yes, perhaps this is a good Zombacalypse tip, but my initial impression was to think it a bit dubious.

I don’t know why I feel that way. Learning how to get gas from abandoned cars isn’t really a precursor to stealing gas from folks BEFORE the zombacalypse any more than learning to retire zombies with a shot to the forehead is a precursor to going on a killing spree of uninfected people before the dead walk the earth.

I guess the site just caught me in a mood. Not their fault. So I apologize for my first impressing.

Aside from my irrational aversion, it also omits important details. How do you defeat the little flap on your gas lid? Well it goes into it in the video, but can it hurt to put up some text/diagrams, too? What, too picky? Ok. How do you pump out of underground storage tanks where you can’t get the receiving receptacle lower than the tank? How do you rig a surplus fuel pump from a junkyard to do this for you with a car battery? (though the drill-pump is kinda cool...) Do you need to worry about pump cavitaion with that flammable/explosive material that is gasoline? All vital bits...

Vital AFTER the zombies come. Not because gas got up to $5 and your neighbor doesn't hide his car in the garage.

1 comment:

Phillip said...

I grew up in WV, we siphoned gas from our own cars for the lawn mower, to clean parts, etc. We didn't always have time to run down to a gas station, since the nearest one was fifteen minutes one way. Eh, just another part of my rural youth that I took for granted.