Thursday, September 2, 2010

Prep for Class

Well, if I am serious about taking a training class, I want to prepare. It’ll be embarrassing enough when I am at the top of my game.

What does that mean? I need to ramp up dry fire practice at home. (NO AMMO! This is the living room, not the range…) Not just for trigger pull refinements, but finger strength by pulling a DA trigger a bajillion times real fast like. I need to draw from the holster with my primary training gun, and the backup gun if the regular one decides to break DURING the class. While drawing I need to work on making the movement smooth, safe, and proper. Fast would be good too.

I think I’ll take the Sig and the 1911 and primary/backup for training. Miltsparks holster for the Sig, a Galco paddle holster for the 1911. I have the Serpa retention holsters, but some trainers ban them for certain gun models in class. Some class members are forgetting Rule 3 is my guess and putting the finger on the trigger as well as the retention release button.

That‘s one of my flaws. That’s 2 different calibers. Most classes I am looking at say to bring at least 300 rounds. One says 1000. So I’d need to bring 2000 rounds with me to be truly prepared. I have the 300 of both, but not necessarily the 1000…

Ooo, magazines. I will bring ALL of them. That’s 9 for each gun. I may even buy a couple more. I will also preload them before I go.

What else? The class will say specifically what they require. Like a hat and knee pads and sunscreen and water. But what stuff beyond that? Tape for my fingertips and hands. Don’t want the distraction of a painful blister. More water. Maybe buy some shooting gloves and test them out at the range before class.

4 comments:

Frozen said...

Smooth is fast

JoeMerchant24 said...

My best advice is to train like you carry.

I am always amazed by the shooters who show up at a defensive shooting course with half a dozen mag pouches and a full-sized gun in a OWB or Thigh holster who after class take out the compact auto or j-frame stick it in a IWB or pocket.

Take the gun you use for primary defense and train with that. Caleb at Gun Nuts has a video showing the risk of training with a safety-less pistol (like the SIG) then trying to use a 1911-style under stress.

Stay away from specialized range gear. Gloves may sound good by round 600, but they affect the grip and you be training for a feel and grip that will not be there in a dynamic situation.

You cannot take enough water, bug spray or sunblock.

You cannot take enough mags.

Wear a hat with a brim.

Pack some range snacks, preferably that can be eaten without touching the actual food (wrapped power bars for example)

A pack of wipes is also helpful in getting lead and residue off the hands every now and then.

The most important thing to take to a class is an open mind. the instructor may have a different approach. It may or may not work for your body, but give it an honest try. If you insist on doing it "my way" or the way SoandSo teaches, then why are you paying to work with this instructor?

andy said...

Don't allow Serpas? That's a new one, especially since it's probably the most common holster in use by us in the .mil

Bubblehead Les. said...

I like what Tam posted about the gear that she used at her Carbine Class. Whoda thunkit that one could put their AR Mags in a Jean Pocket? Sacrilege! ;)