Friday, September 10, 2010

Rehash

Low on blog fodder. Yes still. Haven’t really shaken those late summer doldrums.

I have friend that sends over fodder in the form of links. And these I really appreciate. But it’s hard as the links have often been hashed over by other bloggers and there is little room for me to inject something new.

For example, the story about how the Obama EPA was thinking on banning ammo, or how the administration has put the kibosh on importing US surplus rifles back from Korea.

I have to get my own angle. I can’t just link to the link like it was news as SaysUncle and others did that a week and a half ago.

What’s my angle? Well I was kinda hoping to get a CMP M1 Carbine if a glut of them camp into Camp Perry. I thought it might drive prices down to a level I couldn’t refuse. I even got a subscription to membership in the Garand Collectors Association partly in anticipation of the Korean rifles. So I am cheesed. A little salty. This was not the Hope and Change I was looking for. I was hoping to get a nice rifle from CMP and spending very little of my spare change on it.

4 comments:

Nancy R. said...

Hey TBolt,

This is off topic, but nice "meeting" you last night!

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Hi Nancy!

Bubblehead Les. said...

Maybe the CMP doesn't want a glut of Korean Bring Backs to interfere with their outrageous over-priced Bavarian M1 Carbines that they sell on their online auction sight. I remember the last batch that came in a decade or so ago. One guy at the Medina, Ohio Gun Show had a table set up that had the Korean M1's on one side, and SKS' on the other. As is, your choice, as many as you want of either, $100 a piece. The SKS's looked good, the M1's looked liked they were found in an abandoned bunker exposed to the Elements. So even if they do come in, they'll probably be crap. Plus there is no more U.S. Mil.Surp. Carbine Ammo, so you are reduced to Russian Stell Cased crap that'll take the Lacquer off the cases and melt into your weapon, or you spend a premium looking for real brass-cased ammo. Have 2 Universal M1 Carbine clones that I keep for fun, will probably trade them towards an AR, just because an AR in 2010 will be cheaper to shoot and keep restocked and repaired in the coming years. My $.02, of course. M1's are fun to shoot, though. Just too expensive to feed anymore.

Murphy's Law said...

The CMP has a contract with Aguila Ammunition co. in Mexico to provide cheap brass-cased .30 carbine ammo and it's good stuff.

That said, the CMP's never going to sell the guns cheap--they're operating at market-cost now and have been for some time because they are trying to raise revenue for their programs and all that happens when they offer the rifles cheap is that scumbag resellers buy them in quantity and hawk them on-line and at gun shows. Now they're out of carbines, and if you want one, I suggest that you squirrel some cash away and the next time they find a few--and they might yet--you need to jump on it. The guns that they sell are inspected and in decent shape, unlike the Korean guns of almost two decades ago now that were sold onto the commercial market through Blue Sky, Inc.--THOSE guns were truly craptacular, which is why they had to be refinished before sale. But the CMP has never taken carbines back from Korea, and now thanks to Obongo, they might not ever do so.