Friday, September 3, 2010

Social Good?

One of the things about the Discovery Channel nutter.

I heard some slow talking caller to a local AM radio program go into the standard, “if people were allowed to carry guns in this state… this may never have happened” argument. We’ve all heard it before. Many of us have used that argument. This guy spoke so slowly his message got stepped all over and they transitioned to traffic and weather, but let’s assume it’s an argument that is only promulgated by the smooth and well spoken.

Is that really the argument we want to use to expand CCW rights? “It’s a social good, as lots of folks with a concealed weapon salted among the people will put down wackos before they get too far.”

Maybe. Maybe not. I’m thinking carrying your gatt is good for YOU and yours. I don’t know if I cotton onto the claim it’s good for society. It's certainly secondary, not a primary argument. (Like the 2nd Amendment. It'll protect you, and as a secondary good, having a gun will give you the means to hunt, and that's fun!) Good for me is good enough. Self defense is an individual right. No need to bring a collective societal good into it apart from the good for individual. And that societal-good argument may bite us in the butt someday. Some CCW person may get carried away with the hero aspect and shoot uninvolved parties, and the anti-gun forces will use that negative PR to advance their particular brand of tyranny.

And I don’t know if I am THAT responsible to society as a whole. Or, if I am responsible, if eagerness and ignorance in a fast-moving situation would just make that situation worse or more complicated.

I am the most important individual I know. Just as YOU are the most important individual YOU know. Carrying the best self defense tool available does not spring up as some right to be a hero and save people from the next Virginia Tech or Ft Hood type shooter.

Just because you have a CCW permit, or carry CCW in free places with Vermont-style carry, doesn’t mean you have a license to actively hunt down human varmints that cross your path.

I think us gunnies think too much about the hero aspect. It’s a fine and noble aspiration, but perhaps one we should leave to the young and idealistic. Carrying a concealed weapon is a responsibility that should mature you well past that phase into adulthood, leaving your heroic fantasies to the younger version of you. At least that’s what I think. Maybe you won’t wrap your head to the same conclusion, but nothing will hurt you to consider all the angles.

Our arguments for defense are good enough, is what I'm saying, without relying on a possible societal good.

4 comments:

Bob S. said...

Bolt,

I understand the debate you are having; I've been there.

Here is my simple take on it.

If only 1 out of 100 people are willing to protect themselves; law enforcement has to work to protect the other 99 instead of catching the bad guys.

If 5 out of 100 people carry and are willing to protect themselves, then law enforcement efforts for the remaining 95 are increased and everyone benefits.

If 50 out of 100 were willing to carry and protect themselves -- more crime is stopped, benefiting society.

In each case, it is the individual taking responsibility for their own safety that benefits society as a whole.

What was the old saying "What is good for GM is good for America"?

Well, what is good for you or I is good for society, right?

I've repeatedly have told folks that I carry to protect my family and myself -- IF my efforts also provide others with protection, that is incidental.

While it is incidental, it is also undeniable. Look at the crime rate at police stations or other places where firearms are known to be carried.

JB Miller said...

I also believe that criminals think to themselves, "Well in that area one in three people carry concealed so I better behave there..."

Nathaniel said...

I get your argument Bolt, but as Bob said, even and t without the hero factor, more CCW is still better for society. What if one of the hostages were carrying? What if a "YOU" in this article is someday in a position to be a potential victim? The more CCW participants, the higher the probability that when some whacko tries to do something to one of them, the law abiding citizen stops the attack before it turns into a 4 hour standoff.

Bubblehead Les. said...

I look at it this way. If I'm carrying, and I'm caught behind the "Secure Perimeter" as a hostage, chances are the Goblin will be focused on the "Outside Threat" (the Swat Team), thus diverting attention from his closest threat, Me. Proper training and a willingness to Kill another human will increase My odds of going home that night, and may help any other Innocents that are trapped with me. This does NOT mean that by having a weapon, I've suddenly jumped into my Superman suit. It DOES allow me to place my life and safety back into my hands, not just those of the police. And if that helps Society, fine.