Tuesday, September 28, 2010

RONI carbine

More carbine...

Long readers and followers of this blog know of my hankering for a carbine, but not finding one that fits my requirements. I was ruined when I learned of the existence of the Camp Carbine only to have my hopes dashed when I found out it's not a common design motif or in current production.

The Firearm Blog points to something pops up every now and again. The RONI Tactical yada yada slap a pistol onto a carbine frame, but now fitting XDs instead of just Glocks. And their is a previous solution with the 1911 with the Mechtech.



I am blinded by my desire for a carbine that I can't see the flaws. Or hear a lot of my fellow gunnies snickering behind me. I kinda want this and I kinda really don't. Back to the drawing board.

=====

In other carbine news, the Beretta CX4 now comes in .45. So that is something...



Seruously, it's interesting the way some carbine are perceived:

M1 Carbine: honorable piece of history
AR in .223: most popular rifle in the country
Camp Carbine: old school oddity, a bit on the cheap side, and no longer made
Kel Tec: innovative plastic, even cheaper
Hi-Point: Cheap! Cheapcheapcheap. And fugly.
CX4: Battlestar Galactica!
RONI: ~titter!~
DeLisle: a what?

9 comments:

That Guy said...

I am a big fan of pistol caliber carbines, and especially ones that share mage with a pistol. I have one of the old .45 Camp Carbines, and also a new Kel Tec Sub 2000 that shares mags with the Glock. I'll get a post up on my site with the combos in a bit so I can share.

Bubblehead Les. said...

What's your take on the Ruger Mini-14 family?

Old NFO said...

Mini-14's are mini-14s... Barrels heat up, accuracy is less than spectacular, etc...

Anonymous said...

Don't forget that odd little FN in 5.7.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

MBtGE is a big fan of the Mini-14. Me? Less so. Intirguing concept, poor execution. There is no reason that the Mini-14 not be as accurate as an AR. But no one competes against AR in rifle competitions with Mini-14s

Marty said...

I want one of the RONI conversions for my Glock 19. $399 plus the $200 for the SBR stamp? Maybe later...

Murphy's Law said...

Just get an M1 carbine and you'll be happy. Reliable, compact, easy to maintain...and the same energy at 100M that a .357 magnum has at the muzzle.

There is a reason that both Jim Cirillo and Mas Ayoob love the M-1 carbine loaded with hollowpoints; accurate and deadly.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Me, just get the M-1 Carbine, you'll love it.

-Michael

Angus McThag said...

Word of caution about the DeLisle, they took modified 1911 magazines. I don't see any reason why a modern clone would have to keep that "feature".

Of course, a real one is really a silencer with a pistol caliber carbine attached. Reputably not much louder than dry firing it. I hope to reality check that someday.