Sunday, February 19, 2012

1911s

I like how it is STILL argued by millions as the best handgun option available, bar none. Despite the design being nearly unchanged in a century.



"My Model T is the best car you can drive."  Nope, no one falls for that one. (Love to have one because they are neat, but I wouldn't use it for transportation)



"You use a computer word processor?  Pff.  I'll just stick with my Underwood N. 5, thank you."  Lovely, but suboptimal. (though I love playing with manuals my own self.)



"My Thor get's my clothes cleaner than any Maytag made in the past 20 years could."  Naw, and mind the ringer.  Don't get caught in it.


Sure the arguments and preference for something OTHER than a 1911 are perfectly valid.  That doesn't change the fact it is still a go to item for lots and lots of folks.

Plus the whole "Killed a lotta Nazis and Commies."

My XO 20 years ago even got one with his 1911 20 years previous to that.   VC got him in the trigger guard and creased his temple with an AK AFTER said VC had an extra .45 inch hole in the head region, too.  The Colonel (Lieutenant. at the time) woke in the hospital with the frame still 'attached' to his hand.  They were going to worry about that later, after the head wound stabilized a bit.

Never met a Veteran that potted a Nazi with a Colt .45.  Dang.  Probably won't at this point.  I met a Dutch resistance guy that shoved a Nazi into an icy canal walking home from a prostitute.  HE got the Germans pistol before the splash.

4 comments:

Bubblehead Les. said...

Well, speaking of Valid Designs, I believe the J-Frame is just a down-sized K-Frame with one less round, and I have no problem keeping my K-Framed Smith 19-3 next to me when I sleep at night. Not bad for a design that goes back to...1899? About a dozen years older than the 1911, I believe.

Angus McThag said...

The reason that the 1911 is still a valid design, despite its age is that the mechanics of guns have not changed all that much.

The biggest change mechanically in semi-autos from the 1911 has been going from Browning's link to Browning's cam-lock (1935) and changing from locking lugs in the barrel and slide to locking into the ejection port.

But those are refinements in the short recoil, tilting barrel locking semi-automatic mechanics. A Glock still retains all of the gross functions of a 1911.

What's really changed in the last 100 years is materials!

I'd be more willing to embrace this part of the change if someone would notice how much narrower a 1911 is than, say, a Glock.

I'm OK with only having 7+1 rounds of .45, now make me that in plastic but only as wide as a 1911. Right now what I can get is at least 50% wider, but shorter in length and height. Those dimensions are less bothersome for carry than width. The excess width of revolvers is one of the main reasons autos got popular.

Anonymous said...

Wait a sec. . . who was walking home from a prostitute? the Nazi or the Dutchman? I mean, either way, nice job.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

The Nazi. The Dutchman were in cahoots with the hookers. If a candle was lit in window whatever she was entertaining a German. Look for him to be walking back to base soon.