Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Rust

Not a problem with me and my appropriate carry weapons.  Pocket carry is a stainless 640 snubbie.  IWB possibles is the aluminum and stainless P229 and a stainless Colt Commander.

About the only place I have possible rust issues is if I OC the parkerized Springfield full sized 1911 (oiled), and even there the finish should help a bit.  If I worried, the Colt can go in that paddle holster.  Even then I'd worry about the leather on rainy days.

I know it is semi-sacrilege  to favor stainless.  John Moses Browning (pbuh) never designed a stainless gun.  I don't know if he might have if he had been working in the 1980s when brushed stainless became more of a 'thing' in firearms fashion.  It's certainly not traditional.  And I gravitate, normally, to the traditional.

I just have liked the look.  Probably from what gun mags I was exposed to and absorbed as a kid forming my opinion, partly.    And I know from experience that stainless steel does indeed rust, some grades more than others.  There are other metallurgical issues, but they rear most of their ugly heads during production and manufacturing.

But there you have it.  My preferences inadvertently solve a problem for me.  Good.

[also:  3-in-1 oil was good enough for the Marines at Belleau Wood, it's good enough for me!]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a few guns that can rust but none that I carry.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

You know what rusts easy? The shiny Sig magazines. Especially when you leave them in a plastic bag after a damp shooting session.

Old NFO said...

Yep, rust is the eternal enemy of shooters... sigh

ProudHillbilly said...

But we are glad that the problem isn't with YOU...:-)