Friday, February 24, 2012

RAT PATROL!

In COLOR!

Filmed on location in Spain.

The part of the plucky British commandos raiding behind enemy lines will be played mostly by ruggedly handsome Americans.

The part of the German will be played by a guy with a high school chemistry class safety goggle on his cover.

The part of the sidearms for both sides will be played by Spanish sub-machines guns rather than Tommy Guns or MP40s.  The parts of Tanks will be played by modern stuff.  It is so hard to get ACTUAL Panzer MkIIIs and M3 Lees.  NO one will ever aim a gun except for the M1919.  Of course.  You don't have to aim your garden hose, do you?

And the part of the Script Writer will be played by large group of trained monkeys.

GAH this show was much better in re-runs when I was a kid in 1981. Why did I go ahead and rent the rest of season 1?


8 comments:

Bob said...

I watched the series as a kid. My parents bought me the special edition GI Joe "Rat Patrol Jeep," which came in desert tan with machine gun. Wish I still had it, the last one I saw for sale was around $800.

Tango Juliet said...

We rented Season One not long ago. It wasn't nearly as good as I remembered it to be as a kid. :(

But they had neat hats, didn't they?

NotClauswitz said...

Bob I HATE you and I'm still jealous. My parent's didn't even like us to have Gi-Joes, because they had guns. Rat Patrol was TOTALLY AWESOME when you're twelve. I seem to remember Voyage to he Bottom of the Sea was pretty bitchin' too...

Bubblehead Les. said...

Saw it when I was a Kid. Almost as Good as Combat, with its post-War M1 Carbines and a Sergeant wearing Marine Camo on his Helmet.

But with my Roku Box and Netflix, I was able to watch Rat Patrol for Free. Well, I do have to pay for Netflix, and I had to buy the Roku Box, but since it's replaced Cable......

Marty said...

I loved that show as a kid. Won't watch it now. Would ruin it.

mikelaforge said...

Phew. Youngster, get off my f*&#ing lawn.

Tam said...

Every fan of war movies should be so thankful for CGI that they muster up a little tear just thinking about it.

Think of the rows of Pzkw III's and the flights of He-111's in Enemy at the Gates that, in the 1960s or '70s would have been rows of tan-painted M-24s and flights of CASA 2.111's.

bogie said...

I had to sneak to watch rat Patorl - din't get to watch it very often. Hekc, just watching the jeep buck as the guy is hanging onto the machine gun on the back ls great - looks like fun!

After your review however, maybe I won't be spending any money on it though.