Monday, March 11, 2019

Dehydrated

A guy at work keeps bringing in homemade beef jerk.  Bastard.  Giving me a case of the wants for my ownself.  I could totally do that for me

I worry, tho, that this will be another kitchen gadget rarely used taking up prime kitchen real estate.  Even the smallish ones are a cubic foot. 

You know what?  I never use the slow cooker.  Attic or Goodwill for that.  Free up cabinet space.

Wait... if I am going to free up a cubic foot of space in the kitchen, an insta-pot pressure cooker thing would get first dibs because it is more versatile.  More than a slow cooker and more than a dehydrator.

Alternately, I could try it with just the oven.  Give it a test drive.  Yeah.  I already GOT an oven.  Proof of concept, first.  I've gotten the oven to function fine down in sub-200 degree heats.   

2 comments:

Kevin said...

No dehydrator needed:

https://altonbrown.com/beef-jerky-recipe/

Wolfman said...

My Lovely Wife bought me a three rack set that works really well for jerky. It has a finer grid than the average oven rack, so less things fall into the bottom, and a large sheet pan to catch the drippings. I use Morton Tenderquick salt for the curing process (I also use it to make bacon and ham).