Tuesday, March 26, 2019

I can't help but be tickled

At good signs that court cases are going our way, if a little.  A stay on the bumpstock ban.  Illinois' FOID card, and local town's 'Assault Weapon' ban.

All good things.  For now.  They are limited in scope, and could easily fall on appeal.  Especially that first one.  If SCOTUS got involved, I don't believe we'd get five justices.

I don't WANT a bumpstock, but I want a bumpstock ban precedent even less.

The FOID is only a baby step if it gets to an past SCOTUS, because it is limited in area.  SCOTUS would have to go beyond and say the right to bear arms extends outside one's home.  And that would be great.  But you have to bring a case about bearing outside the home, not just a thingy about Gun ID cards.

And Assault Weapon ban pre-emption will hold up.  Naw, if you want that kind of ban you have to do it on the STATE level.

Obviously I want all three to prevail.  For the good guys to prevail.  I want all three to be a stepping stone to bigger and better victories as these are, by necessity, small beer.  And I am perturbed these small clawbacks of our natural rights are even necessary in the first place, as a right to self defense should be (but clearly is not) self evident to all human beings.   


---

The FOID thing is of greatest interest to me, as Maryland traipses down that path inexorably and unchecked.  I'd like more checks. 


----

Ah.  Roberts.  See?

No comments: