Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Tam's Got an Article

In Shooting Illustrated about the 2000 round challenge. 

She's gone over this before, online.  With links and everything to where the idea came from.  The concept is neato, and I like reading about it.

She even did the test with personally owned bespoke custom 1911.

Hey, I own my very own bespoke custom 1911!  And I keep a shooter log on that very gun, among others.  I could...

No, hold it right there.  Tam her ownself might counsel against that.  Her experience was as the 1911 shed all the oil it had in its rails it slowed down noticeably, and shy of 2000 rounds.  It was doing great then got cranky when dry, failing to go into battery after a while.  It was after hundreds of rounds, but the gun could have made it and passed with flying colors if the challenged allowed two drops of oil every 500.

And she said why get your expensive gun all gritty, possibly loosening it up with unnecessary wear, running it dry, anyway?  She had to, but she's a professional gun writer.

So, I am of two minds.  I want to see if my gun handle it, but I don't want to age it more than I have to.  A rebuild is time consuming and expensive.  Why be forced to do one at 4000 rounds when I can push that date up to 7000 rounds or more?

But it has been about 500 rounds since I last put a drop of lube on the gun.  I had the gun open at round 150 or so and that meant oil then.  I'm at 839 now.  Wait, now.  I last lubed it at round number 257, according to the log... so that is...  582 rounds into the 2000 round challenge.  IF I were to do it.  I am leaning toward no.  I probably won't detail strip it til 2000ish.  But two or three oil drops will almost surely happen before 2000ish.

I'm just super pleased it has never malfunctioned, yet, and easily passes the bogus '500 round challenge.'  In a big round count class I would not be That Guy.

No comments: