Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Goin to the Well Too Much

I am running up against more writers block and running down on blog fodder. Part of the problem is I prefer to WRITE something, and restricting the short, “Look at this cool stenciled gunstock” posts to a minimum. Not to say I won’t do that, on occasion, to try to keep up with the nearly one post a day pace.

The fact that I post as a n00bie doesn’t help. I can post plenty of “Lookit what I learned, lookit what I did the first time ever” posts, but the “Lookit what I know” are more limited. Though those with encyclopedic gun knowledge are sometimes hesitant writing about the basics so we all have our own row to hoe.

Maybe I should try to scare up a DC area Gunblog Happy Hour for the locals. There are a bunch: Countertop, Armed Canadian, Progun Progressive, The Ten Ring, Turk Turon Bitter and Snowflakes from Hell, are all kinda local to the area. It would be easier if a gunblog celebrity that everyone wants to hang with came to town, but beggars can’t be choosers. If Tam or Breda announced that they were going to be Rock Bottom Brewing Company at such and such a time and date we’d need to reserve a 25-top banquet table. But those two are rock stars.

So… any blog fodder one of youse loyal readers can send my way? Either of you? I know I asked this last quarter, but I DID get one or two topics out of that bleg. (thanks for that.)

4 comments:

Turk Turon said...

Yeah, I'm up for a DC Area BlogMeet! Have to be Sunday afternoons for me, 'cause I work seven days a week puttin' kids through school. But great idea!

Anonymous said...

Bolt,

I'm a new shooter that really enjoys your posts about your journey. I really should comment more often, but I don't even know enough to add more than "thanks for posting that".

Your efforts, thoughts and learning really help. I have been considering what firearms I need/want at home. Your posts on your lists really help.

Please keep up the "what I know" and "what I learned" posts. I'm sure there are others like me that find them informative. Many times you write something that is easier to understand than the guys that have been doing this for a while.

Thanks for the posts, keep up the good work sir.

Anonymous said...

Hi - your NYFC loyal reader here.

Soon enough - next 18-24 months - I'll be leaving the land of guns for the Rich and Famous Only, taking my registered-with-the-City long guns and moving to a more reasonable climate for a gun owner.

At that time I'll be making my first handgun purchase, and I intend for it to be a 1911 in .45 ACP. Here's my topic:

What would I get for $2000 that I wouldn't get for $600? I'm coming to the conclusion, from what I read, that a lower end marque will require a substantial amount of after-market add-ons and professional gunsmithing to make it the absolutely reliable weapon it needs to be.

Is this true? What are the mods that a newbie would need to entrust to a pro? Why can't one get a pistol at the low end that does what it's supposed to do (fire reliably and accurately every time you pull the trigger given proper care and maintenance?)

I understand that due to manufacturing variations no ammunition is going to be absolutely 100% (and I have no intention of making myself any poorer and nuttier than I already am by getting into reloading) and that there will be an occasional FTF or FTE, but the literature suggests that out-of-the-box 1911s aren't always what they should be. Why shouldn't we get what we pay for, even if it's "only" $600?

I read you every day. Keep up the good work!

breda said...

If Tam and I are rock stars, she's selling out stadiums and I'm playing at the county fair.

I'd like to know why you started shooting, and how recently.