Thursday, June 19, 2008

Spam

Turk Turon has a short post on spam.

The implication is he has laid a supply in in case Katrina returns or the dead rise to feast upon the living, and he needs to hole up and ride out the emergency.

I like
Spam. Or I would like Spam, if it weren’t for the bones.

I have never had a bit of Spam that didn’t have a bone fragment in it. And a crunchy unyielding bit in an otherwise gummable food is quite disturbing. To me at least. Bone free bits are quite delicious.

I had heard rumors about why the tinned pork shoulder and ham was so popular with
New Guinea tribesmen. Pesky missionaries had discouraged them from practicing a cherished cultural tradition. But the oldtimers really like the Spam. It reminded them of a now forbidden flavor. Long Pig.

Probably an urban legend. But it sounds good.