Monday, June 2, 2008

MACHINE GUNS

"The ones that run are VC! The ones that don't run are well disciplined VC!"

Flashback: Quang Tri, 1967, when the nametag on my uniform said 'Greasemanelli' but everyone knew me as... SERGEANT FURY!!!


My gunshop guy, Ted of Engage Armament had a customer shoot at his property, WAY up in Frederick Maryland, 10 miles up Route 15 from the city. For those familiar with the area, going north on 270 you come to the scenic overlook, you see the town, and on the horizon there is a line of mountains. He's nestled up against those mountains. You do down a 2 lane road for a bit, then a gravel road, then across a rickety bridge, then up a dirt road, then along a muddy logging trail. Impossible without 4 wheel drive. He, and a few other like minded people brought every machine gun they owned. You paid a fee to participate and had to buy their ammo.


Which machine guns were there? Which WEREN'T? I mostly watched, but fired some of them. Particularly older stuff.


The first one I tried was no fooling around. An MG42, used by the Germans in WWII. It fires belted 7.92x57mm ammo. This set was corrosive surplus from Bulgaria. Powerful. It didn't sound like it does in the war movies. It seemed slower. But the dirt impacts down range looked like I was unzipping the soil.





The second I tried was another Wehrmacht classic. The MP40 submachine gun. It fires 9mm pistol ammo from 30 round mags and it is as gentle as a baby. Very easy to control. Just a wonderful piece of history and privilege to get to fire it.


The only other one I personally fired was an M-1 Carbine made with a select-fire switch. A bit more kick than the Schmeiser (MP40) but still fun. And the action is similar to the M1 Garand so I was familiar with the function already. 30 round mag for this one, too. (update: Sailor Curt picks a nit and lays down the real gouge. It was an M2 Carbine. Good call, Chief. Thanks. That's why I am the Newb Jovian Thunderbolt and you are Da Man.)





I fired those 3 because they were guns that kill lots of Commies. And no one likes Commies.


Stuff I wished were there were the M-60, the BAR, and I wish the Bren that was there was working. I watched Full Metal Jacket the night before in anticipation of the M-60. They left the Chauchat at home.

I saw the Ma Deuce fire, but didn't try it myself. It was also having issues and was mostly working semi-auto. The report wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.


What WAS impressive, report wise, was the shorter gun firing .223 and the HK G3s that were there. The short guns were loud, as I'd heard. A lot of propellant is escaping and adding to the shock wave. The G3s, while not short, use a full size rifle round and had a significant blast wave.

To start the session, the shop owners son shot a can of blackpowder that was in a 55 gallon drum with his bolt action .223 and the explosion launched the drum back into the woods. (We've had a bit of rain otherwise they wouldn't have done that)


The only gun I brought was the 1911. There were a few bowling pins to shoot and I surprised myself at being able to hit them regularly at 40 feet. And I got to try out my new holster that way. During one to the ceasefires I inspected the pins and found one with a pristine .223 round sticking out of it. It just didn't have enough Ooomph to get all the way through. So if your skull is as tough as a bowling pin you don't have to worry about getting shot by an M-16.


Other fun things I saw shot? There was a MAC-11. It has a CRAZY fast rate of fire. rrrrrrrrip! and it is empty. The Uzi's had suppressors and were pretty quiet. One guy had a Thompson submachine gun and another a FN PS90. There was even a Glock built to shoot full auto. The brass flying through the air looked like rain.


I'd never buy a machine gun. Too expensive to purchase and to shoot, and few places to shoot it.


Everyone there was very polite and friendly and safe and were just having a great time.


With luck there will be pictures available electronically and I'll post them when I get them. You may even see ME in them. I didn't bring my camera as I didn't know how welcome it would be.

With that all said, I'll end with: "BOOdadow Boodadow bow bow bow bow!!!!!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for picking nits, but the select-fire version of the US Carbine, Caliber .30, was designated the M2 Carbine. It is virtually identical to the M1 except the magazine catch was beefed up to support 30 round mags rather than the standard M1 15 round mags, the receiver was milled to accept the full auto parts, and the auto sear and assorted other "machine gun" bits were added.

I suppose it's possible that you fired an M1 that had been converted to M2 configuration, but the official designation for the select fire carbine is M2.

Jay G said...

Ain't Class III weaponry a hoot 'n' a half?

Somewhere in my database is a short video of me firing a full-auto Glock 34.

Complete with shoulder stock. It's quite cool...

Jay G said...

BTW, found the video and posted it as today's gun pr0n in case you're interested...