Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I Wanna Be An Airborne Ranger...

I met this actual Airborne Ranger the other week.  82nd Airborne.  A Major.

Of course the conversation eventually turned to zombie prep.  And knowing about my interest he asked for my comment on what he thought was the superior anti-zombie weapon.  He assumed the 12 gauge shotgun was the way to go...

~sigh~

What are they teaching these poor professional soldier with 20+ years of experience? (he was prior-enlisted)

I asked him how easy it was to reload a shotgun.  I then asked him if zombie encounters came in ones and twos, or in great multitudes.  Then I asked him how heavy 200 rounds, with  magazines, of .223 were compared to 200 rounds of 12 gauge.  The light went on over his head at that point.  Modern American military personnel are practical and flexible and able to get their heads around better tactical solutions, quickly.

It's this last item, the bulk and weight of shotgun ammo that is the biggee.  A perfected Saiga that works reliably takes the reload time issues out of the equation, assuming you can find a Saiga with magazines that are reliable.  No one is arguing that the shotgun is not effective, certainly, one on one with the undead.  But fighting zombies involves moving, if not very fast.  And moving involves carrying stuff.

I didn't have time to go into the value of .22lr (carry 10 mags in one pocket, 500 rounds in the other and you still have more shots even if you have to double tap each zed in the head and much lighter in weight).  I figured he was VERY familiar with .223 type platforms and that was where his comfort zone was. 

I need your help, though, people.  Spread the word to the misinformed masses.  Shotgun are fine for a half dozen zombies, but facing a dozen with your 9 shot tactical Remington 870 pump shottie makes all your prep go pearshaped.  

I know I keep harping on this, but folks aren't learning.


That said, I don't have a .223 my own self.  I'll have to make do with the heavier .308 and/or .22lr.  Which is still better than a shotgun.

11 comments:

Huey said...

Not all rangers are made the same..

A tab is a diploma you get to wear on your uniform...

A scroll is a pedigree....

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

So he hasn't been trained for full on Zombacalypse. Lot's of actual military types have not. I can't imagine why...

This guy did drop into Iraq, so there is a star on his jump wings.

Daddy Hawk said...

I blame Hollyweird for everyone thinking shotguns are THE gat for zombies. I just point them at "The Box o' Truth" website in the hopes that they will educate themselves. The Ruger 10/22 with a dozen 50 round mags beats any shotgun for a zombie infestation any day.

Anonymous said...

A suppressed .22LR, dammit. SUPPRESSED!!

...

Murphy's Law said...

My M60 trumps all the .223s in the world...when it works.

WV: Squidism. Something stupid a Navy guy says.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Well, back in the OLD Navy, our Ship's Security Protocol was to use the M-14's for Long Distance work, keeping the Bad Guys away from the Ship in the First PLace. Shotguns were assigned to keep the passageways clear, because it's really hard for the Bad Guys to do a Banzai Charge down a corridor. And the JMB Gift From Heaven 1911's were to be used as a Compartment Defense Weapon.

I see no reason to change this DEFENSIVE Strategy even it's a Level 4, with the possible exception of (for those who can afford it) adding a couple of Barrett .50 cals for the 1,000 yard + work. Taking on a Mobile and/or Offensive Strategy, however, may necessitate carrying M-4's (or something that also take the same magazines, like Sigs) in 5.56 Nato. Then, I'd leave the Shotguns back at the Ranch, still keep a couple of 7.62 Nato Semi-Auto's for the Long Distance Work, and add a couple of Hi-Cap Polymer Framed Pistols w/extra mags for CQB work. I'd also have each member carry along a Heavy Bladed Weapon , just in case some Skull Splitting is needed.

Those who have RELIABLE access to 7.62 x 39 Russian, of course should carry AK's, if that works for you. Keep in mind, though, it'll be a lot easier to take 9mm, .40 S+W and 5.56 Nato off Zed Police and Nat'l Guardsman rather than try to scramble for AK, 1911, .357 Snubbie from Hell and M-1 Garand ammo come the Apocalypse. .22 LR, of course, should be all over the place, but I'll leave it's Tactical Applications for Another time. But here's a hint: NVG, Suppressors, and a Ruger 10/22 outside the Wire.

Just my opinion, of course.

JB Miller said...

Tbolt needs an AR15 or Ruger Mini-14. And 30 mags... loaded...

Jerome said...

Doesn't matter if the threat is human or formerly human, the answer is the same. A pistol is used to get to a shotgun. A shotgun is used to get to a rifle. A rifle is used to keep all threats from getting within 100 meters of you.

RWC said...

That...amongst other things...had me constantly facepalming during Zombieland (yeah, just saw it last week)

Really, a double barrel shotgun is all you can come up with. Have a nice short life kid.

JB Miller said...

A double barrel is what you use to get to a high capacity rifle.

John said...

I know I keep harping on this, but folks aren't learning.

I know. I keep telling people that they don't want get within shotgunning range of a zombie.

My .22 bolt will do just fine against the undead, though it won't make for as compelling an action scene in a zombie movie.