Monday, April 4, 2011

Range with Chuckles

Went to Range over a week ago with my old shooting buddy Chuckles.  His interest in shooting had rekindled of late and he had gone ahead and bought an AR recently.  He was at the range to shop and to try out a Walther PPK from the rental counter.

He found the Walther a bit snappy.  But he still might get it.  He'd always loved the design.  I know of the Walther as a twin to my gun-nemesis; the Dreaded (and famous) Bersa Thunder!  That pistol kicks worse than a Colicky Mule that is still mad at people for putting habaneros in its fodder.  They HURT.

Well, me at least.  It doesn't seem to bother anyone else.

He still might get it.


Also at the gunstore that he was checking... .22s.  An MP5 looking .22, and a Ruger 10/22 dolled up to look like M16.  Mainly for his son, but...  it never hurts to have an extra .22


Chuckles REALLY likes that Colt New Agent.  I thought he had read about it on my blog, but no, he came about this hankering on his own.

I've been looking into it, too.  The DAO Colt I am interested in is Officer size.  The tease seems to be that it would be easy for Colt to make it in Commander size (and thus take regular 1911 magazines) if this gun proves popular and the demand looks like it is there.  It is this phantom Commander size Colt DAO that I would be interested in plunking down cash for.  By then they will have worked out the kinks in the newish trigger works on the the current gun, if any.

The only thing that bothers me right now is the odd looking grips


On to the shooting.

Here is my target.  Colt Commander on the left, Smith 640 on the right using +P .38.



That paster in the top middle is what I had Chuckles aim at for a mag through the 1911.  I use him to test my pistols because he is such a good shot.  If it is shooting right when he handles it that means the sights are actually off.  Except this time.  I'd need more testing to ensure the sights are off, but it had been so long since Chuckles shot a pistol I can't rely on him as my human pistol vise.  Still, pretty good for a guy that's out of practice, no?

And you can see why I favor carrying the revolver, still.  The 1911 groups better, certainly, but that low and right stuff...

7 comments:

ZerCool said...

[T]he Dreaded (and famous) Bersa Thunder! That pistol kicks worse than a Colicky Mule that is still mad at people for putting habaneros in its fodder. They HURT.

Ain't that the truth. I carried one for a while and sold it because I HATED shooting it. I was much happier with the 642 I carried for a while and the PM9 I have now. Either one hurts less.

Tam said...

If you ever listen to one piece of advice from me, let it be this one:

It you want a DA pistol, buy an actual DA pistol, not some half-assed attempt to retrofit DA or DA-style lockwork into a 1911 frame.

Seriously, there's not a one of those things worth the acetylene it would take to torch-cut the receivers to BATF specs.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Hope you didn't get on Tam's Last Nerve, T-Bolt. Hate to have to leave that box of Girl Scout Thin Mints at home instead of bring them to Pittsburgh. But since we know that even the Valkyries of the Norse Gods don't want to mess with her....AND you are knocking Breda's Bersa again....

Laura said...

count me as a Bersa lover. sure, it's snappy, but i don't think it's any snappier than a full size 9mm.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I assume the Para LDA from the BloggerTraining! event is no longer in your good graces, Tam?

Tam said...

NJT,

I didn't use an LDA. My Para Gun Blog 9 is a single-action LTC9.

Almost everybody who got the LDA .45s wound up bitching about them, exactly as I predicted.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Well, that explains it. My mistake.

So I'm left with a gun I've no familiarization with, and no real reviews of, with a NEW OS, in a size I don't want, and that Tam is trying to wave me off of like a Carrier LSO that sees I don't have my landing gear down on final approach...

Food for thought.