Monday, April 25, 2011

Need a New Holster

So I have an Uncle Mikes pocket holster for my J-Frame.   I am happy with it as it doesn't print the telltale revolver shape of the gun inside.  And the price could not be beat.  But it is wearing fast.  So I'm sorta looking for a replacement.

I don't want the hard leather kind with the outline boned in perfectly.  Without a gun anywhere near some of these holsters you can almost cite the model that it would take inside, the detailing in the leather is so nice.  Yes, nice.  They look great, but are not what I am looking for.  I like the outwardly softer holster for the pocket.  It can be firm around part to keep the trigger from getting mashed.  And i like the holster to enclose the bottom to keep lint from going UP the barrel. 

I don't know if I want leather at all.  I guess I want the next step up for an Uncle Mikes.  Perhaps the DeSanitis Super Fly.


Unless someone knows alternatives.


I'm also thinking of one day getting a belt holster for the snubbie.  Maybe a between belt and waistband style.  But that's not the priority right now/

9 comments:

Huey said...

hey,I was in the same situation with my new LC9, I had a cheap Uncle Mike's IWB model (soft sided type) that wasn't doing the trick, tried out a Desantis "Insider"...man, its nice, the clip sits nice and high on the holster so the gun rides low and out of sight...I will have a pic of it posted over at my blog later today...hueysgunsight.blogspot.com

BTW, also bought the Desantis Nemisis at the same time for the pocket carry of it...that is what you want, nice carry holster...

Mike W. said...

I use a Desantis Nemesis for mine, but that Superfly looks nice...

Bubblehead Les. said...

My Colt Agent rode inside the Nemesis for a few years, and when I passed it on to my Dad, he saw no reason to change it. Good Kit! I have a Galco Suede Pro for my Winter Revolver, but it is definitely only a Temporary stop gap. Too flimsy, but it's hard to find an Over the Counter Pocket Holster for "Danny Boy" (Dan Wesson .357 Magnum with the 2 inch Barrel installed). I will be doing business with Dennis from the Jay G. recommended Dragonleatherworks at the Gunnie Prom, though. But keep in mind, you'll probably be able to do a LOT of "Compare and Contrast" at Pittsburgh.

Anonymous said...

Check out Remora holsters.

Eric said...

I have read good things about Mika's, but have no direct experience: http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

Anonymous said...

I use the Tuff Products Pocket-Roo. First heard of it from Stephen Camp's review.

I get my Smitty and 5 extras in my pocket. It's worked well for me in jeans, cargo pants and slacks.

Anonymous said...

have both a pocket and belt holster for my j, both are from milt sparks and they are great

Gunnutmegger said...

I prefer this for carrying a J-frame when wearing jeans:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=141332

and I use this when wearing khakis:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=166521

I don't have print-though issues with either one. Sometimes the pockets of khakis are too short and the grip of the gun can be seen by someone standing a few feet behind me. So I check the depth of the pockets before I buy the pants.

velcro8ball said...

I have a Mika pocket holster for my 642 and have been using it for a year, little wear and clouds the outline very well. I have nothing but good to say about them.