Webley Fosbery has been around recently, and I saw this latest treatment on Forgotten Weapons. And I am re-reading The Maltese Falcon.
Guess what pistol is use to off Sam Spades partner, Miles Archer? It'd be like me writing a detective story and someone is shot with a Medusa. And I read this on the same day I saw thw blog post. Serendipitous.
That Fosbery sure is an odd duck of a pistol. To stretch the metaphor, neither fish nor fowl. I was thinking, "why would you DO that? A Franken-Revolver monstosity." Then it occurred to me. You couldn't just select a semi-auto pistol at the time. There was none sitting around. They were all being developed concurrently. Colonel Fosbery did his tinkering on a Colt SAA. Browning and Lugers were around but they were so new they squeaked.
Just thought it interesting.
So Archie takes one in the pump from a Webley Fosbery, falls backwards over a waist high horizontally boarded fence, knocking loose the top rail. And Sam Spade doesn't normally carry a gun on him, and comes to the scene from a sound sleep wearing a thin union suit under his suit, gartered socks, tweed overcoat, and hat, of course. Only thing in his pockets is cigarette papers, Durham tobacco, and money. Not even a pen knife.
--------
Also, Hammett's detectives often smoked these Fatimas when they bought a pack. I thought he might have made them up. Hammett was no Stephen King, always name dropping brands and trademarks. A sign was an "ad for Gasoline" rather than a "Esso sign." Except for cigarettes. Those get named. Minute detail on a man's jewelry, but never the man's car. A square cut ruby with 4 surround baguette cut diamond holding his ascot? Great. A $5 gold piece from 1895 as a tie tack? Fine. Was he driving a DeSoto or a Pontiac? Dunno.
Let's See if the Press Has Any Balls
-
Trump is kicking out MSNOW, Politico and CNN from covering the White House.
If the WHCA has any balls, they'd all walk out and leave the White House to
Fo...
12 hours ago

1 comment:
Nor was Hammett Ian Fleming...
ALWAYS mentioning specific brands, hence the World-wide affection for the Walther PPK.
gfa
Post a Comment