Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Vintage Guns Magazine

I used to blog about issues of Guns Magazine from 50 years ago.  I lost some interest as they got closer to years I was actually alive. 

But I look now and again.  And I learn something on occasion.



That issue had an add for Smith and Wesson Model 41 inside the cover.  Interesting.  But what caught my eye was this:


Bangor Punta?  That rings a bell, but it certainly isn't a very LOUD bell. 

Remember I am a relative newcomer to the gunnie world.  I know S&W used to be own by some Brits during the Clinton years that almost killed them.  What is Bangor Punta?  Lemme check...

Ah.  They were EVERYTHING.  Sugar and Trains initially.  Boats, planes, guns.  A conglomerate.  1964 to 1984.  Bought out by the company that made Lear jets then...  and so it goes.

But I didn't know that much about the Maine railroad and the Cuban sugar maker.  I know a bit more now.

 



4 comments:

Miguel GFZ said...

They literally sold S&W to the employees of a penny on the dollar.

Not since Concorde Bridge had brits taking it in the rectum so hard by a bunch of Americans.

Tam said...

re: Bangor Punta

I...you...wait, what? Seriously?

The Neon Madman said...

I miss the old American Rifleman, back before it became 80% political, with the rest filled with stories about the latest 1911 copy and the latest AR-15. Last time that I moved, I had to clean out a bunch of old issues from the 60's and 70's. The difference between the old ones and today's version is astounding. It takes me all of about 10 minutes to read the modern issue each month.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I SAID i wasn't in the shooty game until... 2000? Even then. Bangor Punta was just below my radar. I don't think I saw a gun ad but 6 or 7 times before age 30