Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Armor

 Co-worker brought up, "I heard that Dragon Skin armor went bankrupt?  That was cool looking!  Like scale mail armor.  I wonder why it didn't do well?  And what happened to Interceptor?"

I dunno, buddy.  Not up on body armor.  Let me look and get a crappy amateur uninformed opinions for ya.

Second queation first.  Intercreptor went away when they made something better?  I have to admit, Interceptor is a good name.  Good marketing.  

Dragon Skin didn't get the big contract because the little disk fell off on hot days. 


There, now I feel dumber.  

3 comments:

McChuck said...

My son goes to Basic next week. I wonder what they'll have him wear there? Hell, I don't even know what the current uniform is, they've changed it so often.

I wore a flak jacket and steel pot back in the day. (Over BDUs. I'm not quite old enough to have worn the pickle suit, and I missed the two beer lunch by just a few years.) Upgraded to PASGT and Fritz helmet in Berlin (they still had a few Jeeps back then), and later wore those in Albania & Kosovo. Went to Iraq the first time in shirt sleeves and ball cap (armed with a multi-tool). Bought my own body armor for the second trip, and was given Interceptor and Fritz helmet. I wore those over my armor. Yes, it was hot. But when meeting with locals, I would take the Interceptor off as a show of faith. And the personal armor worn under the uniform made me look buff.

Jonathan H said...

I'd be skeptical of Dragon Skin because the panels were small - with high powered rounds, large panels are needed to spread the impact energy across a large area of the body to avoid injury (I'm told that getting shot while wearing body armor hurts, especially if it's a rifle round!)

McChuck said...

Dragon Skin sort of worked (until the glue melted), but the spalling tended to deflect fragments up into your chin/face. Which is, obviously, not really healthy.