Thursday, February 10, 2022

Cultivate

I wanted to buy a corkscrew.  The one I had was shite.  Amazon has a bajillion.  Page after page for what is probably the same 3 varieties.  With prices for the SAME thing from $12 to $400.  

I got one.  It's better, but I'm not super happy with it.  

Why can't Amazon be better?  Why can't I just get a result of "show me only French or Italian made corkscrews."  I'd pay a bit extra for that.  I'd pay extra for an Indonesian one.  I am sure all the crappy zinc ones on there are Chinesium.

Well, there is a browser extension called Cultivate.  Never underestimate buncha frustrated weeb shut-in programmers who create extensions for frustrated users.  Cultivate flags possible US made alternatives when you are shopping.  

I guess if you were shopping for a Springfield XD (US company that imports plastic guns made in the Balkans somewhere) it might tell you to buy a Glock (Austrian?  No, that one is Made... in Georgia).  They claim they suss out with their algorithm, at Cultivate.  I guess they weight how many parts of that Smyrna Glock are source from Austria, and whatever contribution Genseo is making to that Grip Zone.

---

Another idea, Amazon.  In 20 years I have NEVER bought a hat that wasn't size 11 3/4.  Because that is my size.  Please, never show me a hat that doesn't come in that size.  Or 2XLT shirts.  &c.  

Amazon isn't really motivated to make themselves that much better.  What are you gonna do, go to one of Amazon's competitors with a better run web interface?  If a better interface did pop up Amazon would just buy them up and Borg any improvement into themselves.  Or just ignore the improvement because, again, where you gonna go?

No comments: