Saturday, November 1, 2008

Personal Marksmanship Standard

How do I measure my marksmanship standard?

I got those goals over there on the right hand side of the blog. But how do I measure my accuracy? What standards do I shoot for and hold myself.

Currently, I want to consistently shoot a group INSIDE a circle as big around as a clay pigeon, and centered. For a pistol at 8 yards, for a rifle at 100 yards. I am about to that level for rifle. I am low and right for the pistol, and a bit loose in the grouping.

What is a goal if you don't have a means to raise the bar?

When I can attain that kind of accuracy for both pistol and rifle, I want to then do it faster! Maybe shrink the circle to tuna can diameter.

Then I want to double the range. 16 yards for pistol in a five inch circle for pistol, and 200 yards for rifle. To get to THAT level? That may be a tall order. But it's possible for me. Maybe. With a lot of work and practice. Right now I'd be plum ecstatic to hit that first mile stone.

Just the iron sights, of course. I may concede a bit to optics for the rifle. That four or five inch circle is smaller than the post on the front sight of the M1A.

Incidentally, clay pigeons are kinda cheap and make excellent plinking targets just scattered all over the face of a berm.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Add shooting with the off hand.

Shooting from any position.

From holster to target.

Home on the Range said...

I know I can get a good grouping straight on, using my right hand,

I'll try shooting from the side, or from cover or with just my wimpy left arm and hand.

Fun no matter what.

E.K. said...

When is a shooter good enough, especially when he doesn't take part in competitions? What level do I want to reach?
Interesting question, I'm also asking myself at the moment.

BTW: I like your blog. :-)

Regards from Germany,

Krenkel

Anonymous said...

As a good guage of your abilities with a rifle, I can think of no greater exercise than attending an Appleseed Shoot. The marksmanship skills I learned at the one I attended have increased my ability and confidance more than I can express. You really find out if you know what you are doing or if you are merely burning powder.
Velrco8ball

Anonymous said...

I just wish I could spell.

Velcro8ball