Sunday, January 4, 2009

Late December Range Report

So I felt a cold coming on. Tuesday.


But you gotta train for other contingencies, including when you feel under the weather. As Churchill said, "most work is accomplished by people that don't feel very well." Or something.

Learned a couple things.


SLOW DOWN. Hurrying through a magazine isn't helping. Oh sure, it MIGHT be center mass, and that is good, but let's get more bullseyes first, shall we? BEFORE going for speed.

Dang. I may never learn that lesson. Impatience.

The .22 conversion kit on my 1911 and my SIG accompanied me this time. I wanted to try out the Federal HydroShoks out of the SIG. Ok.


I learned that the black on black sights for the .22 conversion makes it hard to see the black shoot-n-see target's background, and it's already impossible to see the .22 holes on yellow background ...



Here you can see 3 points of aim, the 2 shoot n' see targets and the head area. Pretty poor, especially at first. I shot better later. I may pick up another Ciener magazine, as I have only 2. Of course that would make me shoot faster if I am not careful. Al target are always set approximately 25 feet away, unless otherwise specified.

When shooting the SIG ALL I see is the front sight. It' s why I shoot it so fast. I see it immediately and want to fire. With a shoot-n-see target, where I can witness results, I slow down a little bit and shoot better.





I shot without the center part and you can see my usual. With the sticker in the center my first 3 shots were in that group close to the bull. Except for drooping a bit and hitting low 6 o'clock. the last magazines aiming for the black center were the best shots. Immediately seeing the results in a low-light range was key, I think.

I must go back in Early January, and test this out some more. If I shoot like that with shoot and see targets I will have to get a lot of stickers and use them exclusively for at least a year. Just to get the skill level up.

2 comments:

Earl said...

One is always too critical of personal performance or totally unaware of imperfections in self. I have heard that smooth will work better than fast, but I am still chasing targets that haven't moved an inch since I posted them.

Anonymous said...

You don't say how far away the target was posted. (Or did I miss it speed reading?)

My wife, son, and I braved the 50degree Texas cold and wind on Sunday as well. In spite of pinching the #%@# out of my finger slamming a magazine in the PPK I did manage to decimate an 8 inch "shoot-n-see." How many shots fired? Distance was 10 yards. The silhoutte was homemade from paper grocery bags.

More than 50 45ACP, 25 380, and a dozen or so 357MAG.

So, don't feel bad. Enjoy the practice. Like Earl said and I'll rephrase a little - "Smooth is fast."