Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Michael Steele

I'm a fan of Michael Steele, former GOP Lt Governor for Maryland. I voted for him for Senate in 2006. He was much more conservative, and closer to my views, than the eventual winner in a bad GOP year.

He is vying for chairmanship of the Republican National Committee.

I am concerned with his anti-civil-rights stance. He seems he MAY be a bit wobbly on the Bill of Rights, and that position cannot be ignored. Particularly the 2nd Amendment. That's what they, and you know how they are.

I'd like to see him clarify his thoughts on this principle. I hope he comes down on the correct side, and if not, I sadly cannot enthusiastically support his actions forward.

I am looking for definitive links to what Mr. Steele actually advocates. Lots of icing out there on the internet, but little cake to be found.

I hope it's all a misunderstanding and he isn't on the gun-ban side of the equation. I'd like to see a Marylander like him take more control of the party at the national level and advocate for conservative political principles. I don't think moving left inside the right-leaning party is the way forward. We already had a left of center GOP candidate get his butt handed to him by a left of center Dem candidate. Cementing the right in place when they are in a hole is not conducive to wise policy making forward, no matter where you fall on the political spectrum. A healthy adversarial system is good for the country.

But perhaps policy isn't the RNC Chair's job (Jon Seehusen). It's winning election. Can adherence to principle be overlooked in this case? I am dubious and really don't know.

“The dark side of the Force clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is.” -Sumdood

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.ontheissues.org/senate/Michael_Steele.htm

http://www.ontheissues.org/Domestic/Michael_Steele_Gun_Control.htm

Anonymous said...

He admitted he doesn't own a gun. With everyone else in the running for the Chair owning several, I think the choice is clear.