Thursday, January 15, 2009

Rugged

So I like my new Sig 229. Is it rugged enough?

Rugged enough for what? I didn’t get it to storm the beach at Iwo. Volcano island seizing is not in my long range survival plan.

I didn’t get it for that. I got it for CCW carry, and CCW only. For that it is plenty rugged.

Now long range survival plans DO include coming through a Zombie Necropalypse. Is it rugged enough for that? Dunno.

I have dubious feeling for aluminum in guns. And the frame of the Sig is aluminum. As is large parts of AR rifles. Another reason to gravitate away from AR’s. At least for me. The military sidearm, the Beretta M92 has a lot of aluminum, too. And I don’t like that weapon for a whole plethora of reasons.

I avoid lighter alloy revolvers too, when considering them. Any snubbie I buy will be all steel. Good for recoil, good for durability. Bad for weight, but that is not an issue to me. It’s just a teeny pistol, after all.

I'd even avoid Scandium revolvers and alloy lightweight Commander size 1911s. Future pickups of revolvers and small, full strength, pistols will reflect this.

When the Necropalyspe comes, and I can choose one pistol, it’ll be the 1911 or the Smith and Wesson 686. I can see crawling through the mud and scrambling through gravel pits and over slag heaps and being just fine.

The Sig comes in third, and is only grabbed because the others are unavailable.



I will grant the Plastic Gun people something. Based on all the torture tests out there, the dang things ARE rugged. Unless you bake it in the oven.



h/t Firearm Blog

No comments: