Saturday, January 24, 2009

Ruger LCR

Man does it offend my sensibilities. I like steel, as you know. And polymer? On a REVOLVER?! I may have the vapors just thinking about it.

But there are reasons to consider it.

Accounts from SHOT indicate that the trigger feels good, out of the box.

It's an ounce heavier than the most featherweight Titanium or Scandium revolvers, but it's price is almost HALF. That ounce isn't much, either way. $350 is.

And it's polymer frame and hogue grips are indicative that it may absorb recoil better. In theory. Lightweight snubbies are well know for having a punishing recoil.

Damn it's ugly.

Good thing I wasn't leaning toward a featherweight. If I was, this plastic snubbie might have vied for the top of my want-list for snubbies. I haven't valued lightweight pistols at this point in my shooting life adventure. So my decision is easier. Stick with a steel S&W.

3 comments:

West, By God said...

The trigger is still a D/A snubbie revolver trigger, just one of the nicer ones. The price also puts it in competition with companies like Taurus and Charter Arms in the affordable pocket gun market. Were I in the market for another .38 snubby, I'd have to seriously consider the LCR.

Bob said...

Early reports from Michael Bane and others indicate that the LCR has softer recoil than its biggest competitor (S&W 642).

Unknown said...

"Damn it's ugly."

I don't know...I'm kind of enraptured by that fluted cylinder. Reminds me of the old 18th century pepperboxes.

***

It's like when the new style trucks came out. I heard many call them ugly and exclaim they didn't look like trucks anymore.

I on the other hand thought they were attractive, and they did look like trucks. Just more like the ones from the 40's & 50's.

Ugliness is in the eye of the beholder.