Friday, January 10, 2020

I was late to the party

I was late to the party recommending to new shooters they get a generic black plastic striker fired 9mm service pistol.  Plenty of other folks that WERE fans of other platforms :cough:1911s:coughs: had figured out a generic plastic 9mm was prolly the way to go.  Why did it take me so long?  I didn't LIKE the plastic pistols.  Aesthetic prejudice, mostly.  It's a journey, this gun stuff.

Oh, I never recommended to folks to get a 1911.  Not as a first or only pistol.  I just recommended a specific beginner pistol that was inexpensive and chambered in a caliber with a '4' in it, and happened to be one I shot better that other similar pistols.  A Springfield XD.

 I know, I know.

I don't recommend the '4' part anymore.  My marksmanship with other plastic pistols is as good now.  And the price difference is only about 10% or less.  I don't hate on XDs like some, but I don't recommend them to new shooters anymore.

But I have changed my recommendation.  Because, really, an XD can be a generic black plastic striker fired 9mm service pistol.  Now I specify a little different.  A generic black plastic striker fired 9mm service pistol issued by a local gov't municipality.   Still not too expensive.  Local gov't is not known for luxury spending.  But the local still eschew things like Taurus, Canik, XD, and other also-rans. When you get a generic black plastic striker fired 9mm service pistol issued by a local gov't municipality you get a Glock, mostly, but also a M&P or a SIG or even an FN.  All fine.  The first three though are the way to go.  And Glock is the way if you want to restrict your choices to one. 

(I still can't bring myself to seek out a Glock.  It's still that aesthetic prejudice.  Prolly bite me in the ass eventually.)

You/I can change it up to make it simpler.

"Get a generic black plastic striker fired 9mm service pistol issued by a local gov't municipality"

"Just get what the local cops use."

No, not the local private investigators.  I've seen Wackenhut or Pinkerton types with Ruger revolvers.

"Just get what the local cops use."

No comments: