Saturday, March 12, 2011

Good Stuff

I got a good anonymous comment with tips for me to try.  And since I have no other fodder right now, I'm gonna repost it here as a reminder to myself:

I read your blog every once in awhile and have seen your comments about right and low w/ the 1911. I've been shooting good groups left and low (rightie) since I started shooting a couple of years ago, with only a few holes in the middle. My last session tho' I reversed the ratio. It took a couple of sessions but here's what helped. Every item except #5 was suggested by a retired 101st Airborne vet at the range who was watching me shoot. (He's one of the RSOs at my club). He told me to:

1. Stand straight up w/ an isosceles stance. The Weaver will come later.
2. Relax
3. Use the pad of finger, not bring the whole joint through.
4. Don't go for the perfect sight picture. He loaded my mags a couple of times with a snap cap in the mix to show me how I flinch. He said it comes from waiting for the perfect shot then trying to get it off before you lose it. He said to imagine a bull's eye size tunnel from the barrel to the target and keep your sights in that tunnel, forget about perfect, just squeeze and be surprised.
5. I watched Todd Jarrett's video several times which led me to focusing on his suggestions for grip, finger and especially on squeezing "one hair at a time". As I focus on "one hair at a time' I'm not focused on the perfect shot and am surprised by the bang.

Hope there's something of value here. I couldn't believe the difference it made for me, especially the tunnel idea and "one hair at a time".

All good stuff.  Some I know, some I don't do but I should try, to 'shake things up' in my routine if for no other reason.   #1 especially.

No comments: