Thursday, March 10, 2011

Whoa

Out of curiosity, I asked a sales clerk at the range which guns in the rental required the most service and which the least. 

He said the worst offender was the Glock. 

!!!!

The spring in the trigger breaks.  Glock fixes them promptly, and these are very abused public rental guns, but still!  You pull the trigger to fire a round, apparently and it won't thereafter reset forward, is my understanding.  Though I could have gotten in wrong, now that I think about it.  I guess the spring in that little tongue safety thing would cause a problem?  I'll try to get clarification next time.  The facts are definitely:  "Most breakage?  Glock.  Trigger spring.  Fails.  No workee." though.

No one had ever asked that question before, about which range gun does the best and worst.  He couldn't think of number 2 or the most problem free semi they had because he hadn't given much thought to the guns that DIDN'T aggravate him.

The revolvers give them the least problem, and the issue they have is one Saucy Trollop has had with her.  The screw that holds the yoke that the cylinder is mounted on backs out a little bit, then the whole yoke assembly falls out on a reload.  They can fix that in the store if the screw hasn't actually left the gun completely, nary to be found without a good range sweep down.

Note:  This is one clarque at one rental counter.  Not a big statistical sample.  And maybe he's a Glock Hater.  Still, intriguing. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great question. I will ask the same one at Blue Ridge the next time I am in there!

...

Eric said...

The screw that hold the crane in place has an itty bitty spring on it, which helps it on its way when it leaves the revolver.

Huey said...

I would venture to say the Glocks also probably have the most rental time..and sending them to Glock for service for a spring? They should be able to replace that there on the counter in a few minutes with the correct replacement spring...

Mad Saint Jack said...

Google Mas Ayoob NY 1

Mas recommends the New York trigger for Glocks because it is a much stronger part.

Tam said...

The parts that break most often on Glocks are the trigger return spring (the gun still fires, but you have to push the trigger forward manually) and the slide stop spring (the Glock uses a dinky little spring to activate the slide stop, and when it breaks, the slide stop can bounce up and down all broke-dick-like and cause the slide to lock back with rounds still in the magazine.)

Springs on guns are wear parts. Inspect and replace as needed.

Motor-T said...

I generally replace the springs Tam mentions annually on my glock pistols. I did have one trigger spring break on my dedicated IDPA gun after 20,000ish (I don't keep a log) rounds. It is still the only part I have replaced due to failure.