Wednesday, January 30, 2013

.22 myth

"The .22lr kills more people than any other caliber."

No one can point to the source.  It may well be a myth.

SayUncle seems to remember it being the .32 as the biggest killer, in the comments over there on Gun Nuts.

I dunno about that, but I did a blogpost year ago about one county in Indiana that published their coroner's reports for the years 1896 through 1935.   I combed through that and found, yes, back then, the reported caliber of the biggest killer was the .32 at 17.  .38 had 16 deaths, the 12 gauge had 10(specified), and the .22 had 5.

I had to count those up manually.

Just interesting, at this point, for historical consideration.  Not to relevent for the past 30 years.  For instance, the Glock Fohty did very little damage in the first quarter of the 20th Century.  Even to the thighs of Professional "Only Ones."  I bet the .32 doesn't claim nearly as big a proportion these days, too.

I find it hard to get the pdf to open now, but I store it locally around here somewhere.  Googling Monroe Country Coroner Report still brings up links to it.

No comments: