Monday, October 19, 2020

Still no word

 No word about my MRI results.  Maybe by this afternoon.  I just want to sleep.  Taking so many NSAIDs.

Thinking back, this has been a long time lead up.  Just look at the parts of me whinging about not having stamina at the range, and how a 500 round count wouldn't benefit me after I hit a big wall around round 200. That was noticeable at least 3 years ago.

My back hurt every now and then for 5 years.  But whose doesn't?  

Numb spot on my foot?  Now feet?  2 years maybe?  

10 years ago I went ahead and popped for a lawn mowing service because doing it myself was a pain in the back.

All hints of what was to come.

In my 20s I didn't set out to abuse my back, but I didn't avoid a lot of labor that surely played a tune on it.  I can't go back in time and tell younger to go easier on it.  I'd probably be fatter now, and that would also make things worse 

---

Saw on some internet source about how to up my egg cooking game.  Now that I crack on a flat surface more of my yolks are intact.  If you pour a couple tablespoons of water on the edge of fried eggs and cover the pan, the water gets under the eggs, lifting them, making them easy to remove.  Also the steam both keeps the temp down so the edges don't burn, and it hardens up the tops of the eggs with the lid holding in the hot gas.  Simple trick, but I wish I knew it 20 years ago.

Also, when making scrambled eggs, a tablespoon of mayo and cream, whisked up before the eggs come in the bowl, makes for more fluffiness.  I season with homemade shallot salt and tellicherry peppercorns.  I like this, when I am not in a an omelette mood.

I haven't been shy with butter cooking eggs either.

"Got any more eggvice, T-Bolt."

I find if you boil the water first, THEN add the eggs to the water, gently (I use a gravy ladle to get them in the hot water without cracking from a drop) then the eggs' shells tend to be easier to peel.  When making devilled eggs my critical ingredients are celery seed and real bacon bits.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just my 2 cents:

I raise chickens for fresh eggs, so we eat A LOT OF THEM. Hardboiled eggs will peel easy, as long as they aren't too fresh. I'll age mine 2 weeks in the refrigerator before boiling. I then use the cold water method (placing the eggs in a pot of cold water) and boil for 17 minutes after the water reaches a rolling boil. They then go straight to a cold water bath to cool down quickly. I believe the quick cool down is what loosens the inner membrane between the shell and yummy goodness inside. Of course, that really only matters if you're making deviled eggs and want aesthetically pleasing undamaged egg whites. My mother-in-law always used a teaspoon to peel eggs which works well. If I'm smooshing them up for egg salad or slicing them for a salad topping, it doesn't matter to me.

McChuck said...

Perfect medium-well eggs: Let the eggs rest in the fridge for at least a week, preferably two. Set out to raise to room temperature (reduces cracking). Boil an inch or so of water. Gently place the eggs in the boiling water, cover, boil/steam for 10 minutes. Rinse in cold water and put back in the fridge. The yolks will be neither runny nor green, but firm yet fluffy.