Tuesday, April 28, 2009

April's Fun Show AAR

I went to the Fun Show with Saucy Trollop. While there, she got a call from the gun store saying she could pick up new XD 40 anytime. So that was exciting.

I didn't get much. A handful of .40 ammo. And I DID find a barrel for my Model 11. Happy day. Now I have something non-butchered to go hunting a skeet shooting with, and my problem with a quasi rifled barrel is obviated. The barrel cost quite a bit less than I was willing to pay, so that's a plus. And it's in great shape. So now I have 3. One short, that I keep on the gun, and a good long one and a 'bad' long one. The short one has NO front sight. Bad form, I know. I have to aim at the upper leg of a deer size target to hit it in the thoracic cavity. Or the 'belt buckle' area of a target silhouette to hit the center mass area. It's fine for home defense, and that's why I leave the shot barrel on it. And by short, I mean 18.25 inches. It's not short by ATF standards.

Here is all 3:




The ammo tables were very sparse. Lots of empty bins. Plenty of ARs to be seen. Maybe a little less than usual. HK pistols are in full supply.

The one BIG thing I did was sign up for a Lifetime NRA membership. They had a deal offered, and it got me into the show for free. And a leather jacket is in the offing. There is a payment plan, so I am not a full member yet. I will pay a bit more than the required $25 a quarter to wrap up that issue. Why did I do it? Why, to stop all the bothersome calls to renew, or course. And to cancel out Michael Moore's vote. I'll be paid up in a year, I figure.

Trollop bought a gun rug to keep her new gun in. And a boresnake to clean it, and Break Free. She is buying a safe to store it in, in the house. I'll post about the first range report for the new gun later, I'm sure.

And it gave us the opportunity to return the S&W .44 Magnum MBtGE loaned us. He lives close by to the show.

Before the show, I asked Trollop what her expectations were. This being a new experience for her. She was sure there would be few hipster types or anyone darker than beige. Few women, too. She was a bit surprised at the racial variety, but it did lean heavily white. There was certainly no racial tension. "It's feels like a great, big craft show! But with men! And no beads. Oh, wait, there are some beads." she said when we got there. All the Nazi paraphernalia was mixed in with the general WWII history paraphernalia. So it was apropos. The people there looked middle aged, mostly male, a mix of suburban and country, but they all looked like they had disposable income.

Oddly, there was more than one chihuahua there.

After the show, Trollop said, "There were EXACTLY as many Fashionistas as I expected to see.

I asked, "You saw Fashionistas?!"

"Exactly!" she said.

No comments: