Sunday, April 19, 2009

Range Report April

Before I can go on about this week's range report I should get off my duff and post the previous week's range report.

This was the truncated range session where the Mainspring Housing Pin broke, cutting short my fun.

All 1911 shooting with Remington UMC 230gr FMJ .45 ACP. 7-8 yards.

Here are the targets:


The first mag was the circles ones on the left target. After that I put up the shoot-n-see target and aimed at that bull.

First 7 were not so good, but it tightened up. The right hand side is target 2. Also tight. Tight for me. Still low and right but starting to be just RIGHT on occasion. With a few very decent hits.

I’m getting better, but, just like I am impatient with my trigger pull, I am impatient with my improvement. It’s hard. Being really good at something is rarely easy. And I know for a fact I could do the dry fire practices more. And should. Not just casually, but a regimen. Daily. I haven’t done that.


Tam, serendiptiously, linked to a couple 'low and right' procedural posts. One by Xavier, one by Pistol-Training. Both offer hints to me, and you, on how to work to fix the flaw. Check them out. Especially the 'how to fix it' parts.

I was trying a new procedure. Pick up gun, get the grip, disengage safety, present to target and fire 2, re-engage safety and set the gun down. This broke up my shooting and more closely simulated a self defense situation. LOOSELY simulated. The range won't allow holster work, and I wasn't going for too much speed. But drilling the proper hand grip over and over, and engaging-re-engaging a safety over and over, and 2 to center mass, and breaking up the routine are all good things that are good to reinforce. It's slow reinforcement, but the habits are better than just casually squeezing off a string of shots and going home.


No comments: