Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Pump Up the Jam

Offline, people are telling me my disdain for the possible intimidating effect of the sound from the pump action on a 12 gauge is because I don’t actually HAVE a pump shotgun, and that I am just jealous.

Touche.

And PIFFLE!

I AM jealous. One day I will have a Remington 870…

But my opinion on the shik-SHIK! still stands. Yes it might make a goblin rethink his career choice and flee the scene, but you have to ready if it doesn’t. The hesitation waiting for sound to do its job might be a critical delay. You don’t want to be sitting there with one thumb in your mouth, one in your sphincter, playing ‘Switch,’ if the intruder ups the ante at that point and goes Reaver on you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you.

The conviction that the mere thought of you being armed will scare away a bad guy may very well make you less committed to, or slower to engage in, further self defensive action.

A defensive firearm is not a showpiece nor a talisman, it is a tool.

You don't carry a hammer around hoping to scare nails into the wood.

The sound of racking the slide is "scary" to some specifically because it signifies preparing the firearm for immediate use. If YOU'RE not prepared to immediately use it...you may as well use a tape recording of the sound and hope for the best.

Bob S. said...

Bolt,

You aren't the only one. I've tried to convince others, including my wife that just the sound isn't enough.

If you are aware of the intruder in your house early enough, (s)he may not even hear it.

If you aren't aware of the intruder, and they can hear the sound, you just gave warning to the intruder - and identified your position.

Great post

Jeff said...

I always thought that "racking the slide scares 'em " thing was a bit of an urban myth. I don't have a pump gun either, just a lowly single shot with a butt load of ammo and one in the tube. I'm afraid (heaven forbid) that the first sound an intruder might hear is a deafening blast.