Saturday, April 11, 2009

Busted

Went to the range this last week.


Range report later.


That's not the news, the news is... My gun done gone got borken.


Maybe 3000 rounds have been through it?


The pin that holds the Mainspring Housing (called, oddly enough, the Mainspring Housing Pin) on to the frame of of my 1911 cracked in two, and I noticed a half on the counter in the middle of a magazine and round of fire. (I was shooting two, then putting the gun down.)


Look, a black pieces part. I hope that flew over here from my neighbor. Nope. Right there on my own dang gun. So I packed it up and went home.


I have a replacement part, but, I want to try a different shaped mainspring housing, just to see what that does to my shooting. Instead of arched, straight like these.

Maybe not checkered though... Does checkering hurt?

3 comments:

Sigboy said...

You dont even notice.
Word verification: gunge - what your gun looks like after a long muddy range day

Eseell said...

I haven't had any pain from the checkering on my 1911. I also shoot better with the flat mainspring housing, personally.

Anonymous said...

I started with arched housings, and consistently shoot low with flat ones. Probably a psychological thing, since I still have the same sight picture, but I changed out the housings on every one I have owned.


I have a complete repair kit in cigar tubes in the range bag.
If you are going to be doing a lot of shooting, get a couple of pin sets and spring sets. Keep one of each in the rang bag. Get an extra firing pin and Firing pin stop. Fit the stop to the slide and put it in the parts kit. Nothing quite like having the slide lock to the rear and have the FPS disappear into the dirt while the firing pin bounces off your chin.