Wednesday, April 15, 2009

BAG Day

(Ok, for me it’s Borrow a Gun Day.)

I borrowed something special from My Buddy the Gun Enthiast (MBtGE) so as to show Saucy Trollop what a big boom feels like this weekend. What six inches of big bore power can do to a woman. She loves the big boom, the bigger the better. Nothing makes her happier than to wrap her hands around a big thick piece and seeing what it can do. The rougher it is, the more she likes it.

Shut it!

I know what you people were thinking. You all have filthy minds. For shame!

It’s MBtGE's S&W .44 Magnum. Model 649-2. 6 inch barrel

I don’t know how much Saucy Trollop is gonna like shooting it though, really. Intellectually she likes a firearm that kicks, but… Side by side it’s pretty close in size to my model 686 .357, except for the bore. But I don’t like how hard the .44 kicks ME. But if she likes it, I bet she get’s a similar version for herself someday.

When I’ve fired this gun in the past, despite the significant event the recoil is, it is a very easy to shoot accurately. Until the pain in your hand makes you flinch too much, at least. It should be fun. For a few. And hey, it’s been a while since I played with it. Maybe I’ll like it better now that I have a few thousand more rounds under my belt.

Best part is, my brother, the Commander, is gonna be there at the range with us, with his significant other. Let’s call her Salomon Grundy. While the Commander has shot a pistol a few times for the Navy, he hasn’t shot a wide variety of things, and shooting a few of mine will be a treat for him.

Ms. Grundy has never shot anything before. Nothing. So you all know the procedure for taking a rank beginner, and female at that, at a first time shoot? Right. She shoots first with very little instruction. And she shoots the .44 magnum. Remember to laugh when shenanigans ensue! Try to get it video taped and post the fiasco on YouTube, cuz that will be so COOL! It’s funny when girls get scared by huge recoil!

No, no, no! I’m not doing that, really.

I am converting over the .45 to .22 with the conversion kit. I’m gonna start with that and work her up to .38, then see how she is doing. Always demonstrating first. If she is doing well, and is enjoying it, we’ll progress from there to .40 and .45 and .357. Only then, and only after Saucy Trollop has tried the .44 will that be on offer. No pressure to shoot it, of course. I bet she does fine and at least tries it once. And she’ll do fine that one shot. She and Saucy may surprise me and be mad I didn’t bring a lot more .44 ammo.

Same procedure with my brother in case he is rusty.

I’ve already forwarded for the 4-Rules for them to memorize, and before the range I am going to go over all the guns we are bring in her living room, unloaded, to familiarize them with them in a quiet environment.

As for BAG day, no I am not purchasing anything this time. The SIG P229 DAK SAS I got in December counts toward this years purchase. Maybe next year. I have been window shopping for revolvers, as I’ve mentioned before.
Some cartridge pr0n of the .44 Magnum:

2 comments:

Jay G said...

Actually, the 629 is an N frame, whereas the 686 is an L frame.

I've got a 629 with a 6.5" barrel as well as S&W's Power Port.

Recoil is very mild - compared to the Ruger Super Blackhawk I had, .44 Magnum feels like .44 Special...

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

That may be true, but side by side and squint at them and it's hard to tell the 2 guns apart save for the smooth dimple-less cylinder on the .44. It's almost uncanny