Sunday, April 26, 2009

Rifled Buckshot Barrel



Ok, I hadn't thought it THIS bad...

The previous owner of my long shotgun barrel did some amateur gunbutchery. He tried to make it rifled. He failed. Failed to do a good job. There is dents from the grooves visible on the outside of the barrel, and I wouldn't fire it if a real gunsmith didn't say it was ok.






And it worked ok. Slug rounds punch a hole where I am pointing. Well, I shot a few slugs.


I didn't think about the shot spread pattern that Carteach describes...


Hell, I've been HUNTING with this thing.


I better pattern it with a greater seriousness before next season. Crap.

It might not be all that bad. The 'twist' rate is 1:56 or so.




The way I will test it at Clark Brothers, where they allow this, is fire at a huge sheet of butcher paper 50 yards off, and compare them to MBtGE spread pattern on a regular, unaltered (nie fugged up) shottie.

Alternatively, I could hunt with slugs, where allowed.

No comments: