Friday, December 30, 2016

MAGA

So, Roberta says to me, "T-Bolt!  Are you using pre-shredded cheese in the kitchen?!  MADNESS!  That's an abomination unto Nuggan.  You saw who won the election in November.  If there is one policy of that man I can get behind is he want's to make America grate again.  DO IT!"

Because she felt so strongly about it I figured I better get in line.

There are two types of people in my life that give me advice.  Those I always safely ignore, and those that I listen closely to and weigh the implications.  Roberta is one of the latter.  I guess there is a rare third category.  People that suggest I do one thing and I automatically do the opposite and know I am making the right decision thereby.  Jimmy Carter, History's Greatest Monster lies in this special third category.  

Roberta informed me there is some... extras... in that pre-shredded stuff, too, and I might get better performance eschewing it.  Out with the grater!  For the grater good!  When a recipe calls for cheese I want to just put CHEESE in.

A homemade white sauce with cheese recipe called for parmesian and cheddar.  This would then go on pasta to for baking in ze casserole dish.  Instead of that I had to get pre-shredded parmesian.  It was all I could find.  Sad now.  I will do better next time.  But I cut back that cheese's volumetric contribution and went with Cabot extra sharp and Colby.  Just cuz.  Should be much better even with the pre-shedded.

Shredding a pound of cheese is work.

Performance improvement I'd like to see is less grease separation on re-heats as the butter takes leave of the white sauce.

Prepped this casserole Monday, cooked Wednesday, reheat Thursday leftovers and now, I report....

Good flavor, fresh and redone.  It's basically homemade mac n cheese with italian sausage and bacon, how can that go real bad?  But otherwise, still super oily, but aha!  The grease isn't butter colored.  More Trump colored.  Orange.  I tried a different variety of Johnsonville Italian Sausage.  Mild instead of Sweet.  The mild has a hint of spice and that spice is red and thus the grease is the same color as PEOTUS.  Eureka!  So I just need to do grease minimization from that sausage angle next time.  The whitesauce with cheese may be good. 

Grated Cheese.  Yes, Roberta.


2 comments:

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

So much Oil George Bush wants to invade my casserole dish

JayNola said...

Personally I'd try to find something besides Johnsonville kinda Italian sausage. I concur that precooking the sausage will yield better results. I've been employing my grill for this a lot lately.