Friday, July 21, 2017

Watch Out for Snakes!

The two legged kind.

So I was downtown, DC, near Union Station.  Meeting my mom for German food at Cafe Berlin.  I drove down and parked easily.  Much better than stepping foot in that expensive death trap that the subway has become.

I'm early, as is my wont, so I park myself on a park bench at a nearby... uh... park.

The neighborhood is nicer there than my own.  It's Capitol Hill.  It's been fully gentrified.  It's all white people with strollers, now.  So little reason to be braced for action.  But you never know.

Still, practice being alert.  Code yellow.  Which mother or toddler look like they might push you to orange alert.  Not that I have a gun, because, DC.

Silliness aside, I noticed one thing.  You are scanning one way and a bike will just appear at your blind side.  Not there, BAM, right on top of you.

Bad guys on bikes are less of a problem in the daylight in public.  Not a good method for a mugger.  But a great method for a snatcher.  I don't have anything to snatch, no purse, no smart phone, so if it was a bad guy I am not part of his victim selection process.

The thing I am on guard for is how easy it was for them to get that close that fast.  A new wrinkle to be on guard for.   

1 comment:

JFM said...

And insanely quiet too!